Post Your Span-Am to WW I Full-Length Soldier Photos

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

Unnamed 42nd Division officer. His collar insignia looks like it might be Infantry.

post-5143-0-52247700-1586724859_thumb.jpg

A better look at his insignia.

post-5143-0-49802200-1586724906_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

A trio of 2nd Division 17th Field Artillery Regiment soldiers. One of whom is also wearing, what looks like a Liberty Loan 3rd Army patch in addition to his 17th Field Artillery insignia.

post-5143-0-61963300-1586725415_thumb.jpg

Close up of the insignia worn by the three artillerymen.

post-5143-0-13412900-1586725474_thumb.jpg

Plus, a better look at the double patch.

post-5143-0-56459100-1586725553_thumb.jpg

The reverse of the German postcard stock 17th Field Artillery image is inscribed with three names and one address, presumably, these are the names, and one address, of the three men.

post-5143-0-04871800-1586725701_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
mysteriousoozlefinch

Officers of the 370th Infantry Regiment wearing their Croix de Guerre medals, from the National Archives.

Left to Right, Rear Row: 1st Lt. Robert P. Hurd, Co. B; Lt. Col. Otis B. Duncan, 3rd Bn CO; Maj. James R. White, MD; Capt. William B. Crawford, Co. L; 1st Lt. William J. Warfield, DSC*, HQ Co. 3rd Bn; Capt. Rufus B. Jackson, Reg. HQ Co.**

Left to Right, Front Row: Capt. George M. Allen, Co. F; 1st Lt. Osceola A Browning, Co. M; Capt. Devere J. Warner, HQ Co.; 1st Lt. Roy B. Tisdell, Co. C; Capt. James H. Smith, Co. C

*=The Distinguished Service Cross is presented to William J. Warfield, First Lieutenant, U.S. Army, for extraordinary heroism in action near Ferme-de-la-Riviere, France, September 28, 1918. Although separated with his platoon from the company, First Lieutenant Warfield continued to lead a stubborn resistance against enemy machine-gun nests, successfully capturing a gun and killing the crew. After having been severely wounded, he still continued in command, refusing relief until his objective was reached.

**: "The Distinguished Service Cross is presented to Rufus B. Jackson, Second Lieutenant, U.S. Army, for extraordinary heroism in action near Farm La Folie, France, September 28, 1918. Having been ordered to use his Stokes mortars in wiping out machine-gun nests, which had been resisting the advance of his company, Lieutenant Jackson made a personal reconnaissance by crawling to the enemy's lines to locate the nests. Accomplishing his purpose, he returned and directed the fire, silencing the guns."

DSC Receipients 001.jpg

mysteriousoozlefinch

Some images from the WVU archives.

SW99YcE.jpg

Sergeant Major Harry Clayton, 349th Machine Gun Battalion, 92nd Division

fx5X4Rg.jpg

Lt. Jason C. Easton, GHQ staff.  He was a Sergeant in the 77th Division before commissioning.

hrdahUA.jpg

Lt. Easton again.

Z0deHp4.jpg

A neat one I thought, a battalion of the 1st West Virginia Volunteer Infantry in greatcoats while at Camp Poland, Knoxville, TN waiting for transport to Columbus, GA in early 1899.

• 2 weeks later...
Ranger-1972
On 9/6/2019 at 3:04 PM, world war I nerd said:

Close up of the officer's Coast Artillery collar brass, 1904 Officers 1902 0r 1905 Service Hat and 1904 Service Coat without the officer's cuff band, which was not adopted until 1907.

post-5143-0-12935500-1567818255_thumb.jpg

This appears to be the Field Artillery insignia adopted in 1904 (a caisson wheel on a disc, superimposed on the crossed cannon), rather than the Coast Artillery insignia (an artillery shell on a disc, superimposed on the crossed cannon).  It would be very unusual for a Coast Artillery officer below the rank of Major to be mounted, whereas every Field Artillery officer would ride a horse.

On 1/5/2020 at 7:35 AM, world war I nerd said:

Close up of the only collar brass visible in the above photo.

post-5143-0-82862600-1578245726_thumb.jpg

The insignia on the cap and collar appear to be that of the 4th Regiment of Field Artillery (Mountain), organized 13 June 1904 at Vancouver Barracks, Washington, under the command of COL Alexander B. Dyer, Jr.  It consisted of a Headquarters and six firing batteries.  A Battery (formed from the former 26th Battery); B Battery (formed from the former 28th Battery); C Battery (formed from the former 23rd Battery); D Battery (formed from the former 27th Battery); E Battery (organized June 1907); and F Battery (organized June 1907).  The 4th Field Artillery served during the Mexican Punitive Expedition in 1916, but did not deploy to France during WWI.

• 3 weeks later...
world war I nerd

Oozlefinch. thanks for sharing the wonderful images from the National Archives and the WVU History Center.

Hat's off to Rooster for posting the images photos of his grandfather during the Great War.

Ranger-1917 , thanks so much for expounding on the insignia and uniforms worn by the mounted artillery (not Coast Artillery) officer and the enlisted 4th Artillery man.

Now time for some new stuff ... Unnamed men from an unknown regiment in Cuba, circa 1898.

Span-Am-I.jpg

A slightly closer look ...

Span-Am-II.jpg

world war I nerd

An early mounted New York National Guard  Signal Corps sergeant, circa 1903.

Early-Signal-Corps-I.jpg

Note that he chose to wear non-regulation wool puttees instead of regulation canvas leggings.

Early-Signal-Corps-II.jpg

It's a shame that the photographer focused his camera on the horse rather than the man.

Early-Signal-Corps-III.jpg

world war I nerd

Not entirely sure of the date on this shot of a pair of Engineers. I'm pretty sure that the image was taken a year or two before 1917

Engineers-in-Camp-I.jpg

Close up of the service cap with Corps of Engineers branch insignia cap badge.

Engineers-in-Camp-II.jpg

Also of interest is the modification made to the 1910 or 1914 pattern canvas leggings worn by right-hand engineer.

Engineers-in-Camp-III.jpg

world war I nerd

"Landing party standing by" U.S.S. Florida, Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Landing-Party-Cuba-I.jpg

Better view of some of the Florida's USMC and Navy officers and sailors.

Landing-Party-Cuba-II.jpg

And an even closer look at the officers shooting the breeze.

Landing-Party-Cuba-III.jpg

Last, a close up of a sailor and a headless corpsman (?) with medical bag slung from his right shoulder.

Landing-Party-Cuba-IV.jpg

world war I nerd

The base "Sick Bay" personnel, circa 1912. Probably the Naval Station Great Lakes in Illinois.

Sick-Bay-I.jpg

Sick bay personnel panning from left to right.

Sick-Bay-II.jpg

More panning  ...

Sick-Bay-III.jpg

Last of the horizontal panning ... Yes that's a spoon in his breast pocket.

Sick-Bay-IV.jpg

Panning down to a stretcher and the Sick Bay's medical satchels.

Sick-Bay-V.jpg

world war I nerd

Unnamed Red Cross canteen workers at an undisclosed location in the United States, circa 1917 - 1919.

Canteen-Workers.jpg

Are they sisters?

Canteen-Workers-II.jpg

world war I nerd

Nice portrait of a 3rd Army YWCA secretary, circa 1919 - no name though.

3rd-Army-YMCA-I.jpg

The reverse of the image is captioned:

"Y.W.C.A. secretary on duty with the Army of Occupation".

3rd-Army-YMCA-IIjpg.jpg

world war I nerd

A couple of souvenired up, mackinaw wearing Doughboys in Germany, circa 1919.

Souvenirs-I.jpg

Their self-awarded decorations are comprised of an Iron Cross first class (right) and an Iron Cross second class (left).

Souvenirs-II.jpg

world war I nerd

Not sure if the guy on the right is sporting a 5th Marine Regiment shoulder patch or a 12th Field Artillery shoulder patch. The other guy is definitely wearing a 6th Marine Regiment shoulder patch - probably blue for the 3rd Battalion.

5th-&-6th-Marines-I.jpg

Both are wearing French pattern overseas caps and Army issued 1917 Overcoats for enlisted men.

5th-&-6th-Marines-II.jpg

Charlie Flick

Nerd:

Glad to see you back and posting.   We missed you here.

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2020 at 7:34 AM, Charlie Flick said:

Nerd:

Glad to see you back and posting.   We missed you here.

Charlie

Yes, we sure did!

• 2 weeks later...
world war I nerd

Thank you Charlie and Mikie. For some reason it's been difficult for me to get back in the routine of posting here in this topic on a weekly basis.

Gentlemen, meet the members of the "Jaw Bone Glee Club",unknown infantry regiment, U.S. Army, 1911.

I love these photos of soldiers who are so bored they can't help but get up to doing silly stuff. Like similar photos the men depicted are wearing a wide variety of regulation and non-regulation articles of clothing. The garments I can identify are a 1904 or 1905 pattern Overcoat for enlisted men, a 1904 olive drab wool Service Coat, a 1902 Dress Blue Service Cap, a 1907 olive drab wool Service Cap, 1907 Canvas Leggings, and a couple of 1902 Campaign Hats.

Jaw-Bone-Glee-Club-I.jpg

A closer look at the early overcoat, service coat, campaign hats, and overalls.

Jaw-Bone-Glee-Club-II.jpg

world war I nerd

Three 15th Infantry Regiment officers in China, circa 1914.

15th-Infantry-China-I.jpg

Note how tall the collar is on the coat worn by the center officer.

15th-Infantry-China-II.jpg

Tropical helmets and collar brass.

15th-Infantry-China-III.jpg

world war I nerd

Army - YMCA basketball team, 1915 - 1916.

YMCA-Basketball-I.jpg

Close up of the basketball jersey, YMCA sashes, and game ball.

YMCA-Basketball-II.jpg

world war I nerd

A trio of unnamed Marines in Hawaii, date unknown.

Early-USMC-I.jpg

USMC summer field coats and pre-1911 campaign covers.

Early-USMC-II.jpg

An even closer look at one of the pre-1911 campaign covers.

Early-USMC-III.jpg

world war I nerd

Unnamed U.S. Army infantryman in garrison. He's wearing 1911 Khaki Cotton Field Dress, 1910 Canvas Leggings, 1902 Campaign Hat and a 1910 Garrison Belt for enlisted men.

Garrison-Belt-I.jpg

A closer view of his upper-torso.

Garrison-Belt-II.jpg

And the enlisted garrison belt with rifle cartridge pockets whose flaps are secured by bronze rimless eagle snaps.

Garrison-Belt-III.jpg

mysteriousoozlefinch

NvlajZu.jpg

Naval Hospital Los Animas (Fort Lyon), Colorado, the US Navy sanitarium for tuberculosis patients.

grVoehx.jpg

Crew on deck of probably the Florida in 1917-1918

QOQ5s56.jpg

Soldier of the 5th Division with M1911 pistol belt.

QS5WGqT.jpg

2nd Maine Infantry, August 1916 on the Mexican border expedition.

world war I nerd

Carl and the man wearing the early pattern mackinaw.

40th-Division-III.jpg

The later pattern canvas and wool mackinaw. The collar disc on his cap is artillery.

40th-Division-II.jpg

The two visible 40th Division shoulder patches.

40th-Division-IV.jpg

40th-Division-V.jpg

More great shots Oozlefinch! Thanks.

Trio of 40th Division Doughboys on a French "carte postale". The gentleman in the middle is Carl Shoemaker according to the hand written caption on the reverse. The two soldier's flanking Carl are wearing all wool construction, early  pattern mackinaw coat (right) and a late war pattern canvas and wool pattern mackinaw coat (left).

I'm pretty sure that the guy's on the left are wearing the less than six month's light blue overseas service chevron, while the guy on the right is wearing a gold six to eleven months overseas service chevron.

40th-Division-I.jpg