Post Your Span-Am to WW I Full-Length Soldier Photos

world war I nerd

Salvage Sailor

A French carte postale showing an AEF aviator wearing the fur-lined cloth flight suit as worn by AEF pilots and observers.

I'd call that one a unique photograph

Salvage Sailor

I've shown this one before. Full photo and details here http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/281480-belts-bayonets-and-colts-1st-infantry-fort-shafter-wwi/

Excerpt from 1st Infantry Regiment, Guarding the Interned Germans captured on Guam and Hawaii at Fort Shafter T.H.

Summer khaki uniforms, Colts and M1910 Garrison belts

Fort Shafter Guard 006a.jpg

world war I nerd

Brooke, those are some doosies, each one is unique in its own way! If you have any more, please post.

Salvage sailor, I remember that one. I thought it was a fantastic photo then and it still is. It's nice to se the 1910 Enlisted Men's Garrison Belt, as they don't turn up in photos very often, especially with a revolver holster attached.

• 4 weeks later...

Span-Am Provost Guard.

Notation on reverse:

"Oliver Jones Co. C 2nd (illegible) Inf. and

Preston Davis Co. B 2nd (illegible) Inf. Provost Guard.

Property of Oliver Jones.

Keep this for me. We were always together in tight places.

post-102330-0-85344600-1540383333_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

MP25, another great studio shot of the PMD man and an MP!

I have a head & shoulders shot of a 3rd Army MP with red MP collar tabs that are similar to the MPD collar tabs in your posted photo. If it was full length, I'd post it here, but it's not ...

Riley's collar disc - crossed rifles below what?

World War I Nerd - I think I have the answer. This man is a member of a Home Guard unit.

The collar disk is CG above the crossed rifles and in very small letters below the rifles

is "EMERGENCY PATROLMAN". The CG stands for CITY GUARD. These CG disks

show up on eBay from time to time listed as Coast Guard because Scipio listed it in his

book as Coast Guard, but with a question mark. There was no standardization to the designation

of Home Guard units. For example the Home Guard unit in Waterbury, Conn. were named

City Guard. I have photos of Waterbury City Guard which I will attempt to post, if I can get

the re-sizing tool to work???? I also have a CG collar disk which I'll attempt to post.

World War I Nerd - I think I have the answer. This man is a member of a Home Guard unit.

The collar disk is CG above the crossed rifles and in very small letters below the rifles

is "EMERGENCY PATROLMAN". The CG stands for CITY GUARD. These CG disks

show up on eBay from time to time listed as Coast Guard because Scipio listed it in his

book as Coast Guard, but with a question mark. There was no standardization to the designation

of Home Guard units. For example the Home Guard unit in Waterbury, Conn. were named

City Guard. I have photos of Waterbury City Guard which I will attempt to post, if I can get

the re-sizing tool to work???? I also have a CG collar disk which I'll attempt to post.

World War I Nerd - I posted one photo of a Waterbury City Guard in the WWI MPs with batons thread.

It wasn't a full standing view. I had another photo, but the re-size tool didn't work on it????

world war I nerd

MP25, I had a hunch that that guy may have been a member of a Home Guard unit, but I never would have guessed that the letters "CG" on his collar disc represented City Guard … Thanks so much for bringing that information to light. That's one of the greatest and frustrating things about studying the uniforms, equipment & insignia used by the U.S. Army during the Great War … No matter how much you think you know, there's always, and I mean ALWAYS, something new to learn.

The initials and numeral, "M1stE", are embroidered on his cap. Based on that he's likely a member of the 1st Regiment of a Maine National Guard outfit. But whether that regiment is infantry, artillery or something else, I can't say

post-5143-0-89953800-1541284223_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Sticking with the 1902 Dress Uniform theme, here's a bunch of Iowa National Guardsmen wearing their dress blues. The cap insignia looks to be that of the 55th Infantry Regiment.

post-5143-0-51331400-1541284438_thumb.jpg

It's kind of ironic that even back then, guys were photo-bombing or spoiling a photograph as a prank. If you look closely at the above photo, three men are lurking underneath the tent in the background -two of whom are proudly saluting the photographer with what I'm assuming are beer bottles.

post-5143-0-39323700-1541284836_thumb.jpg

Does anybody recognize the labels of the beer bottles the happy photo bomber's are hoisting?

post-5143-0-84326200-1541284909_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

A modern print made from a WW I era glass negative depicting a quartet of Doughboys bearing the insignia of the "Wildcat", or 81st Infantry Division.

post-5143-0-22688800-1541284975_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Another image from the same group of photographs showing off-duty infantrymen or National Guardsmen, partially dressed in 1902 Dress Blues, who've more than likely had a sip, or maybe two sips, of a strong alcoholic spirit.

post-5143-0-03669000-1541285409_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

An enlarged tiny snapshot of WW I recruits destined for the 323rd Field Artillery Regiment, 83rd Division shooting hoops.

post-5143-0-86312200-1541285517_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Another shot of the 1902 Dress Uniform probably taken around 1904 or so. This time the blues are worn by a member of the 88th Artillery Regiment.

post-5143-0-76588000-1541285761_thumb.jpg