War time cigarettes

Dogsbody

Nice uncommon sealed pack of Blue Boar I picked up. Series stamped 114 on the back. War time tobacco is my collecting passion. My wife likes to make fun of me for it yet gave me an EBay gift card for Xmas knowing what I was going to buy.

post-200443-0-74603300-1578416593.jpeg

FrisianCollector

Camel cigarette pack with Gift of Red Cross stamp (I've uploaded the picture twice accidentely, can't remove them...)

post-191679-0-52327400-1578420651_thumb.jpg

post-191679-0-94936000-1578420468_thumb.jpg

Camel cigarette pack with Gift of Red Cross stamp (I've uploaded the picture twice accidentely, can't remove them...)

attachicon.gifcamel cigarettes 4.jpg

Nice....wondering if these would be in a Red Cross package sent to POW's....?

FrisianCollector

Nice....wondering if these would be in a Red Cross package sent to POW's....?

Could be...

post-191679-0-44265200-1578932908_thumb.jpg

Some more detailed information and pictures about the cigarette packs can be found on my website: http://www.frisiancollector.com/category/donated-cigarette-packs/. An article about the Red Cross Lucky Strike package will be published somewhere this month.

very nice!

i took a chance on a full velvet tin the other day and it ended up being a 116 stamp. eh, close enough ;)

Great display and very nice tobacco tins.

Rene

Thanks guys!

Living in Belgium it takes some effort finding the less common small GI items. a lot more to be found in the States

But, that's part of the fun I guess

P

General Apathy

Hi Rene, thought I would be bring a light to your cigarette thread. A silver cigarette lighter made for a member of the 82nd Airborne in Paris after the liberation of Paris.

lewis.

.post-344-0-74745500-1578954727.jpg

.post-344-0-01085200-1578954804.jpg

Could be...

attachicon.gifamerican red cross cigarette packs (1).jpg

Some more detailed information and pictures about the cigarette packs can be found on my website: http://www.frisiancollector.com/category/donated-cigarette-packs/. An article about the Red Cross Lucky Strike package will be published somewhere this month.

Very nice and I like what you have on your website so far. Thanks for showing.

Could be...

Very nice cigarette packs! Something I will be looking out for.

Rene

Hi Rene, thought I would be bring a light to your cigarette thread. A silver cigarette lighter made for a member of the 82nd Airborne in Paris after the liberation of Paris.

lewis.

.attachicon.gifpost-344-1284115054.jpg

.attachicon.gifpost-344-1284115204.jpg

Hi Ken, that's one of the best lighters I've seen so far. I especially like the engraving at the back.

Rene

Love this topic!

Not uncommon cigarettes, but it's a great story.

TOP HAT camp Antwerp Belgium

In 1945 the American forces set up a series of camps to bring their troops home after the end of World War II.

The camps, most of which were located in France, were named after a brand of American cigarette, a desirable and valuable commodity (Camp Lucky Stripe, Camp Pall Mall, Camp Chesterfield, etc.).

Tophat, a virtual city comprised of thousands of tents was set up on the outskirts of Antwerp, Belgium in close proximity to its world-class harbor.

Unlike the French "cigarette camps" it was named for the unit that built it, which had a tophat as their unit symbol.

However, a Belgian cigarette company manufactured Tophat Cigarettes so it became unintentionally a "cigarette camp" after all.

By May 1945, Tophat was a pretty luxurious place, what with her five movie theaters, good food, a gift PX, officer’s and enlisted men’s clubs, an ice-cream bar, a 20-seat barber shop where the haircuts were free (but you were encourage to tip the barber on your way out), and excellent English-speaking Belgian service personnel.

post-182294-0-83051100-1579204942_thumb.jpg

post-182294-0-08559200-1579204960_thumb.jpg

don't tell anybody, but that's actually a 120...

Tex,

Does that Beech Nut have a tax stamp and if so are you able to see the series number?

Thanks.

FrisianCollector

Could be...

Here it is, a very early WWII period cigarette pack from Lucky Strike with Red Cross stamp.

In 1942 Lucky Strike contributed to the war effort by changing the color of their cigarette packs from dark green to white. The gold colored trim which was used on the borders, bottom and sides was also dropped. According to some veterans the red "bullseye" logo of Lucky Strike cigarette packs had a useful purpose because it was a perfect size to fit over a TL-122 flashlight lens and provide dimmer illumination.

post-191679-0-55918400-1579725426_thumb.jpg

http://www.frisiancollector.com/donated-cigarette-packs/lucky-strike-cigarettes-2/ (for some more interesting information about this cigarette pack)

Here it is, a very early WWII period cigarette pack from Lucky Strike with Red Cross stamp.

In 1942 Lucky Strike contributed to the war effort by changing the color of their cigarette packs from dark green to white. The gold colored trim which was used on the borders, bottom and sides was also dropped. According to some veterans the red "bullseye" logo of Lucky Strike cigarette packs had a useful purpose because it was a perfect size to fit over a TL-122 flashlight lens and provide dimmer illumination.

attachicon.giflucky strike cigarettes 2.jpg

“Lucky Strike Green Has Gone to War!” so the story goes ...

But the white pack replacing the original green one, was nothing more than marketing and a business decision to sell more cigarettes, because female smokers prefered the white packed brands.

The war and patriotism was just a welcome excuse for the rebranding.

• 2 months later...
General Apathy

Hi Everyone, just opening this topic up again after a couple of months . . . . . .

Just found these matchbooks in a dark corner of the shoebox, showing fronts and rears of three books.

lewis.

.post-344-0-54550100-1587295757_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Hi Everyone, just opening this topic up again after a couple of months . . . . . .

Just found these matchbooks in a dark corner of the shoebox, showing fronts and rears of three books.

lewis.

.post-344-0-58264800-1587295854_thumb.jpeg

lewis.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_4db5.jpeg

Thanks, Ken. I love a good set of war time matchbooks anytime.

post-169612-0-03630000-1587314372.jpg post-169612-0-09025200-1587314412.jpg

Rene