War time cigarettes

Dogsbody

Hi Rene, I had a pleasant surprise this morning when I opened a cardboard box that was packed away when I moved house around 1998, with two more moves since then.

Now here's the interesting find this morning which I originally found in a carton of Camel cigarettes that were cellophane wrapped, and with no foil wrapper.

regards lewis.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_232b.jpeg

Hi Ken and others, here's another call from Camel to re-use the cellophane wrapper.

post-169612-0-69655500-1570720333_thumb.jpg

Rene

General Apathy

Hi Ken and others, here's another call from Camel to re-use the cellophane wrapper.

attachicon.gifSAM_7666a.jpg

Rene

Hi Rene, interesting that in the cigarette advert you posted that there was already worries about Nicotine content even during WWII . . . . . . . . . :huh:

nice find, lewis.

General Apathy

Hi Rene, here's a packet of Philip Morris cigarettes, the pack is without the tin foil, and it has the military sticker across the top for military use only, note the carton has ' War Emergency ' printed on it, it also has a waxed outer wrap, often missing from most cartons in collections

Lewis.

.post-344-0-64502200-1571321642.jpgpost-344-0-64502200-1571321642.jpg

General Apathy

Does the war emergency pertain to rationing. ration stamps and limited supply etc?

Hi Irish, I think it relates to the reduced packaging i.e. the material for the tin foil being used for other purposes

lewis.

General Apathy

This little trick might well have been copied by US troops from the British and Commonwealth servicemen after buying British manufactured cigarettes. Shown to me as a child by my uncle a WWII veteran..

The ten pack was a two part inner and outer sleeve, the outer was torn into three equal strips and made into the turret with a real cigarette for the barrel, the inner part became the body and tracks.

lewis.

. post-344-0-37333700-1571428781_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Hi Rene, British WWII packet of twenty Players Navy Cut marked NAAFI STORES ( Navy, Army, Air-Force Institutes ) set up in 1920 to supply goods and recreational services to troops on camps. There's every likelihood that American troops could have used and smoked this brand or traded them for American cigarettes.

lewis.

.post-344-0-14636600-1571690204.jpeg

.post-344-0-08552100-1571690238.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Question for the tobacco experts. This pack of Old Golds is series 114 but has tin foil wrapping. Doesnt that seem odd? Reproduction? Theres definitely smokes inside it and it appears unopened. Im using my phone so my pictures came in sideways.

post-200443-0-79090200-1576024568.jpeg

post-200443-0-75998600-1576024643.jpeg

post-200443-0-48557500-1576024748.jpeg

Something wasnt right about these. The foil wrapper was throwing me off. The weight was half an ounce off as well. Bottom wasnt sealed so I was able to see plastic tubes instead of cigarettes.

Currently in the refund process on eBay. Seller description said they were full, unopened war time rare cigarettes. Clearly they are not.

Something wasnt right about these. The foil wrapper was throwing me off. The weight was half an ounce off as well. Bottom wasnt sealed so I was able to see plastic tubes instead of cigarettes.

Currently in the refund process on eBay. Seller description said they were full, unopened war time rare cigarettes. Clearly they are not.

Man that is awful. :( Hope all goes well with the refund/return.

I would think that some early examples would still have foil, but it is good that you checked. Other than the plastic tubes, are the wrappings and cellophane original for the period...?

Man that is awful. :( Hope all goes well with the refund/return.

I would think that some early examples would still have foil, but it is good that you checked. Other than the plastic tubes, are the wrappings and cellophane original for the period...?

Im not advanced enough to know if everything is actually period correct. Seller probably made these himself hoping to make a few bucks. Seems like a lot of work for not much money. Naturally, hes not responding to my email or refund request. Sending it back today. He deleted the listing to avoid negative feedback, believe I found a way around that though.

He screwed up when he used foil instead of paper. I havent seen foil used on a Series 114 pack, especially an Old Gold pack.

General Apathy

Beauties Ken..! :)

Hi everforward, thanks just thought a few book-matches would strike a match to go along with the cigarettes . . . . . . . . . ^_^

regards lewis.

Im not advanced enough to know if everything is actually period correct. Seller probably made these himself hoping to make a few bucks. Seems like a lot of work for not much money. Naturally, hes not responding to my email or refund request. Sending it back today. He deleted the listing to avoid negative feedback, believe I found a way around that though.

He screwed up when he used foil instead of paper. I havent seen foil used on a Series 114 pack, especially an Old Gold pack.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with that seller. I have to say that I haven't seen series 114 Old Gold packs with foil either.

Rene

General Apathy

Hi Ken, since you started the fire on matchbooks here are a few that would 'match' your collection perfectly ^_^

Front

attachicon.gifSAM_7978a.jpg

Back

attachicon.gifSAM_7976a.jpg

Rene

Hi Rene, its good to see your matchbooks some that I have never seen before. Attached is a photo showing the top-half of bookmatches I framed, sadly the weather is dark, overcast and raining and along with the reflection of the glass has not allowed a very strong image to be captured.

regards lewis

.post-344-0-32692000-1576508273_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Hi Rene, Attached is a photo showing the bottom-half of bookmatches I framed, sadly the weather is dark, overcast and raining and along with the reflection of the glass has not allowed a very strong image to be captured.

regards lewis

.post-344-0-65027400-1576508394.jpeg

Merry Christmas to all participants and readers of this 'smoking hot' thread (well.........almost ;))

Oh, how times have changed….can't imagine Santa recommending this today

post-169612-0-24516100-1577186601_thumb.jpg

Rene