War time cigarettes

Dogsbody

FrisianCollector

What do you mean with wrapper foil?

The inner packaging paper of the cigarette pack which is clearly visible at the top of the package. As said before, the cigarettes of your package are wrapped into a silver foil wrapper.

post-191679-0-17048200-1540570614_thumb.jpg

FrisianCollector

I recently bought two packs with 20 Domino cigarettes, the cigarettes of both packs are wrapped in brownish colored packaging paper. Both packs have a blank label affixed across the top. Another pack from my collection with 10 Raleigh cigarettes also bears a blank label. In GI Collector's Guide Volume II there is a similar raleigh pack visible with the following information: "the lack of tax label indicates this was probably offered by a charity".

This is the only information I have at the moment about these labels. Does someone have more information about the usage of this type of label during WW2 or does someone have another WW2 cigarette pack with blank label?

Some pictures:
post-191679-0-47215400-1541245214_thumb.jpg
post-191679-0-83110900-1541245221_thumb.jpg
post-191679-0-52939700-1541245228_thumb.jpg

I recently bought two packs with 20 Domino cigarettes, the cigarettes of both packs are wrapped in brownish colored packaging paper. Both packs have a blank label affixed across the top. Another pack from my collection with 10 Raleigh cigarettes also bears a blank label. In GI Collector's Guide Volume II there is a similar raleigh pack visible with the following information: "the lack of tax label indicates this was probably offered by a charity".

This is the only information I have at the moment about these labels. Does someone have more information about the usage of this type of label during WW2 or does someone have another WW2 cigarette pack with blank label?

Some pictures:

attachicon.gifIMG_2922.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2923.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2933.JPG

Hi FrisianCollector (ik neem aan dat je afkomstig bent uit Friesland? :) ) Thanks for adding to this post. Those are nice looking cigarette packs. Unfortunately I can't give you any further info on them. I would like to find out more about them myself so hopefully others can chime in.

Rene

• 4 weeks later...

Small addition to the collection:a pack (containing 3 cigarettes) that as I understand it could sometimes be found in C ration cans B(reakfast) units during 1943.

post-169612-0-91274200-1543679070_thumb.jpg

post-169612-0-31964100-1543679081_thumb.jpg

post-169612-0-24351700-1543679092_thumb.jpg

Rene

FrisianCollector

Small addition to the collection:a pack (containing 3 cigarettes) that as I understand it could sometimes be found in C ration cans B(reakfast) units during 1943.

Nice ration package!

Camel cigarette packs from my collection issued to the military, all with different stamps.

post-191679-0-04904400-1544221966_thumb.jpg

At the moment I have a total of 7 Camel cigarette packs but I am always interested in more ofcourse :rolleyes:

- Frisian Collector

• 2 months later...
General Apathy

From the Shoebox . . . . . . . . .

an uncommon packet of WWII cigarettes, featuring a little visual and also a written message about being rainproof.

lewis.

.post-344-0-26139000-1550951328_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

From the Shoebox . . . . . . . . .

an uncommon packet of WWII cigarettes, featuring a little visual and also a written message about being rainproof.

lewis.

.post-344-0-16231500-1550951391.jpeg

From the Shoebox . . . . .

Hi Rene, a 1940 packet of cigarettes from your own neck of the woods I believe.

lewis.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_1178.jpeg

Hi Ken, you're right. The way I understand it is that people could grow their own tobacco and send it of to certain factories who made it into cigarettes for them. These cigarettes were for personal use only and you were not permitted to trade them.

Rene

• 2 months later...

Ive started collecting these packs. As we all know how important cigarettes were to the troops.

I noticed one member has a few tobacco tins, Black pecan, Prince Albert, etc. Does anyone else collect these? Im curious how often these were carried overseas?

• 3 weeks later...
dogfacedsoldier

I have a empty WWII Marvels Carton I picked up at an antique dealer's booth The orange and black colors are still bright. I had a pack at one time.

• 2 months later...
FrisianCollector

Ive started collecting these packs. As we all know how important cigarettes were to the troops.

I noticed one member has a few tobacco tins, Black pecan, Prince Albert, etc. Does anyone else collect these? Im curious how often these were carried overseas?

In order to save on tin, between 1942 and 1945 tobacco tins were replaced by cardboard packs. So during WWII, tobacco tins were probably not carried overseas. I've got a tobacco tin from Revelation with a "U. S. Armed Forces Overseas" stamp affixed across the top, but I am not sure if this tin is from WWII or post war... Though, I do have some other cigarette and tobacco packs with a similar type of stamp affixed across the top which are WWII period for sure; so the stamp text on this Revelation tin was used during WWII.

post-191679-0-57302700-1565888750_thumb.jpg

post-191679-0-07178600-1565888756_thumb.jpg

post-191679-0-14180300-1565888762_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
General Apathy

Hi all, one of the things I like to collect are war time cigarettes (commercial or the ones especially for the army). To start things off here are my Lucky Strike packs so far. The one on the left has the Free of Tax label but no silver wrapping which should date it to 1943 or later. The one on the right has a Tax label series 114 which should date it to 1944. The small package in front is from a K-ration.

I invite everyone to add their cigarettes. Maybe we can start some sort of reference thread. So please post them , if you've got them :)

attachicon.gifSAM_3688a.jpg attachicon.gifSAM_3690a.jpg

Rene

Hi Rene, I had a pleasant surprise this morning when I opened a cardboard box that was packed away when I moved house around 1998, with two more moves since then.

So here is a Chesterfield carton still containing three packs of cigarettes, these have the brown paper wrapper covered in cellophane, no silver foil, the tax label states ' Free of tax, for use only of U.S. military forces including Alaska and Hawaii.

regards lewis.

.post-344-0-58976100-1566997118.jpeg

General Apathy

Hi Rene, I had a pleasant surprise this morning when I opened a cardboard box that was packed away when I moved house around 1998, with two more moves since then.

So here is a Camel carton contains five packs of cigarettes, these have the brown paper wrapper, no cellophane, no silver foil, the tax label has 115 as its code number.

regards lewis.

.post-344-0-05251700-1566997294.jpeg

General Apathy

Now here's the interesting find this morning which I originally found in a carton of Camel cigarettes that were cellophane wrapped, and with no foil wrapper.

regards lewis.

.post-344-0-78989300-1566997619_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Those are great..!

Hi everforward, thanks for sharing your enjoyment, if someone's smoking cigarettes then they probably need matches, such as these wartime ones, strange that one is a package of ten and the other twelve . . . :huh:

regards lewis.

.post-344-0-75470000-1567013651.jpeg

Hi everforward, thanks for sharing your enjoyment, if someone's smoking cigarettes then they probably need matches, such as these wartime ones, strange that one is a package of ten and the other twelve . . . :huh:

regards lewis.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_ac6.jpeg

That is strange. The matches don't match!

Thanks everyone for adding new items to this thread. It's always great to see them.

Here are some of my latest additions.

Ken, it seems that more cigarette packs from 1945 lacked the cellophane wrapper. The Raleigh pack on the left is from 1945 and also has no wrapper.

post-169612-0-58631100-1567091473_thumb.jpg

post-169612-0-07797200-1567091511_thumb.jpg

Rene