War time cigarettes

Dogsbody

pararaftanr2

That thing is seriously cool!

Agreed Mikie. After many years of looking for one, it turned up on a table at a local militaria show in the recent past, and at the right price too!

Well that takes me down memory lane. Dad had an old Zippo he kept in his sock drawer along with a small caliber automatic, some mercury dimes and a couple of insignia from his unit. He only took it out and used it once in a while, and his lighting his cigar with it seemed almost ceremonial. No idea why. But when I opened those links to the Zippos yesterday, I caught a whiff of the distinctive smell of the fluid. Last time I saw it was probably late 70's. Strange what can trigger old memories.

Mikie

Well that takes me down memory lane. Dad had an old Zippo he kept in his sock drawer along with a small caliber automatic, some mercury dimes and a couple of insignia from his unit. He only took it out and used it once in a while, and his lighting his cigar with it seemed almost ceremonial. No idea why. But when I opened those links to the Zippos yesterday, I caught a whiff of the distinctive smell of the fluid. Last time I saw it was probably late 70's. Strange what can trigger old memories.

Mikie

Good memories Mikie.Thanks for adding it here.Will post the lighter here as well

post-342-0-40488900-1477629266.jpg

Keeping with the scheme here, but expanding slightly, you have a wartime pack of Raleighs with the "Free of Tax" stamp displayed in a cast and machined aluminum ashtray representing the USS Ticonderoga. A limited number of these were made by the Newport News Ship Building & Dry Dock Company and, in addition to being given to dignitaries at the ship's launching, were used aboard ship in the Officer's Wardroom and various state rooms. The Naval aviation specific cigarette case is nicely enameled in Navy blue and has a beautiful machine turned finish on the interior, holding 14 Camel cigarettes. The ashtray, and associated documents, were part of a grouping from a veteran who served on the ship during WW2.

Regards, Paul

Paul as always - killer set. That is a true inspiration to see this kind of vision here, great!

Here is my package of Lucky Strike "Free of Tax" example with USN matches.

Cheers,

Jerry

post-369-0-69933200-1532616899_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone for adding to this thread! Paul, that is an amazing ashtray! Never knew such things existed.

I don't know much about this next pack of cigarettes other than that I read somewhere that these were handed out by Canadian troops during the liberation of Holland. Maybe some forum members from Canada can shed some light on this pack of cigarettes.

post-169612-0-26450300-1532630291.jpg post-169612-0-37328000-1532630323_thumb.jpg

post-169612-0-13585200-1532630359_thumb.jpg

Rene

everforward

Thanks everyone for adding to this thread! Paul, that is an amazing ashtray! Never knew such things existed.

I don't know much about this next pack of cigarettes other than that I read somewhere that these were handed out by Canadian troops during the liberation of Holland. Maybe some forum members from Canada can shed some light on this pack of cigarettes.

attachicon.gifSAM_3701a.jpg attachicon.gifSAM_3702a.jpg

attachicon.gifSAM_3703a.jpg

Rene

Being from Virginia, I think that's a pretty cool pack of cigarettes..! :)

iron bender

A farmer I worked with in Abernathy, Texas, named LA Johnson was in the Korean War. Drove a diamond-T that he'd turned into a gin-pole. He had two big boxed cases of Old Golds he carried around the entire time he was there. Said he never could trade them off. He said they burned like cordite and GI's wouldn't touch them over the other smokes available

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, here are two new unopened additions: the (cordite burning ^_^) Old Gold ones are from a K-rat. The Velvet tobacco has a series 114 tax label which should date it to 1944.

post-169612-0-20515900-1533634067_thumb.jpg

post-169612-0-37631300-1533634097_thumb.jpg post-169612-0-53741200-1533634132_thumb.jpg

post-169612-0-83647900-1533634157_thumb.jpg post-169612-0-35151700-1533634182_thumb.jpg

Rene

Here is most of what I have. The cartons are full WW2 manufacture. I had two more cartons of Raleigh but sold them....Greg

post-154139-0-02662600-1534116074.jpg

I forgot. Years ago I had a amish working on my barn. He told me he went in the building looking for lumber and seen the cigarettes and opened a pack of SunShine and smoked one. He hid the rest of the pack up in the rafters of the barn,pulled it down and gave it to me. I was a bit upset to say the least. It had been an unopened carton...Greg

post-154139-0-29563200-1534116611.jpg

Here's another one with a 'civilian' Tax label. The Tax label has some additional stamping (Q-5) on it.

attachicon.gifSAM_3691a.jpg attachicon.gifSAM_3692a.jpg

attachicon.gifSAM_3693a.jpg attachicon.gifSAM_3694a.jpg

Rene

Great thread! I'm an old Lucky smoker who quit over 45 years ago - TG! I am reminded of a story told by the father of a friend who was in the 7th Inf Division. He told us about trading smokes for about anything in the Philippines but the natives who always call out "No Raleighs" They wouldn't take them - reason unknown! bobgee

Thanks for adding the pictures, Greg. That's a nice collection!

Thanks Bobgee for the story. So now we have the like cordite burning Old Golds and the not too popular (in the Philippines at least) 'No Raleighs', hahaha.

Rene

• 5 weeks later...

Hello all, the following pic shows a pack of Luckies from 1940 (tax label series 110, silver foil inner wrapper). When I aquired the package it was empty but otherwise in quite reasonable condition. For this picture I added some modern non filter cigarettes. The ashtray is a PX store example. The matchbox is a quite well known example, I think.

post-169612-0-26253000-1537023436_thumb.jpg

Rene

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

post-247-0-73356400-1540486195_thumb.jpg

Here is my small contribution to the subject. Top left to right: Survival container with wooden matches, field lighter made by Bowers Mfg. Co., field produced lighter--remove round and it's ready to go, pack of Chelsea cigarettes in plastic container, Zippo lighter with owner initials scratched in, GI lighter with crackle finsih, Bottom row left to right: book of matches for damp climates, pack of ration cigarettes, original box for Ronson lighter that is to the right.

Hello,

Can you guys say if this package is ww2?

Thanks

My .02: I'm thinking they are a post-war US Export to Great Britain...foil on the wrapper would indicate a post-WW2 manufacture.