Finally found an original WW2 USMC Camo Utility Cap (cover)

ArchangelDM

Have you burned a loose thread?

Just curious if there is cotton(thread) or other type used

I actualy have a set of P42 style camo trousers this vet made.As well as a bag that is camo on one side and hbt on the other.He was in Supply.

Had tons of stuff even a full suit and anothor large bag he made that all got sold of by his son-in-law years ago.The guy had over 8 tables full of his stuff at a show.Later I ended up with one of the late war hbt shirts with the interior pockets that were reported to be early type of armor when plates were added to the pockets...make me wonder now if the vet may have been one of the people who made them??

ArchangelDM

Have you burned a loose thread?

Just curious if there is cotton(thread) or other type used

I actualy have a set of P42 style camo trousers this vet made.As well as a bag that is camo on one side and hbt on the other.He was in Supply.

Had tons of stuff even a full suit and anothor large bag he made that all got sold of by his son-in-law years ago.The guy had over 8 tables full of his stuff at a show.Later I ended up with one of the late war hbt shirts with the interior pockets that were reported to be early type of armor when plates were added to the pockets...make me wonder now if the vet may have been one of the people who made them??

No but I can there is some loose thread along a lot of the inside seams. A lot of the people within supply and the quartermasters I can imagine had all sorts made.

Another example is the bazooka bags.

Im guessing anything is possible, why not make camo hats in the field.

Ill let you know the burn test on some loose thread

Thanks for the input

Yours

Dean

ArchangelDM

hello

one post about camo cap

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/227744-ww2-rigger-made-usmc-camo-hats/?hl=%2Busmc+%2Butility+%2Bcap

for this one if very low price l take risk , if high price , not

olivier

Thanks for the post Olivier

I saw them - has anybody actually proved them to be modern made with original fabric ?

Any actual evidence of them being modern made ?

I wouldnt write them off either, that was 4 years ago and I dont see a ton of them actually surfacing. If this is one of the only photos of fabric made ones on this forum it would point to the opposite of these being modern made. If so why not more of them ? Did they just make 4 or 5

With regards to the poncho made ones they where proved to be made by an author of one of the fantastic USMC books.

Yours

Dean

Real wartime material and made later? Possibly. However, I have seen many ingenious Marine made items (some within my Marine groupings) manufactured from the China or Japanese occupation - items made from HBT, Blankets, Greatcoats, frogskin camo and shelter halves. The tailors were out there, and the Marines wanted something different to take home!

I like it, and if it fits and you like wearing it - enjoy it Dean!

Cheers

Graham

ArchangelDM

Real wartime material and made later? Possibly. However, I have seen many ingenious Marine made items (some within my Marine groupings) manufactured from the China or Japanese occupation - items made from HBT, Blankets, Greatcoats, frogskin camo and shelter halves. The tailors were out there, and the Marines wanted something different to take home!

I like it, and if it fits and you like wearing it - enjoy it Dean!

Cheers

Graham

As always Graham a pleasure reading your posts :-)

See you soon mate

Ow and Im wearing the cap : - )

Without ironclad provenance this is a $45 cap.

Thats the going price at the flea market here in Los Angeles from a vendor who makes them and sells them every month.

Without ironclad provenance this is a $45 cap.

Thats the going price at the flea market here in Los Angeles from a vendor who makes them and sells them every month.

I want one!

Looks almost identical with one Abramsantiques sold on eBay some time ago, the one they sold was made by WW2 impressions

I own several of the hand made hbt.Here are two on the right.The one on the left is a well worn Army issue patten short bill

post-342-0-77395500-1530918297_thumb.jpg

There is real and there is real

The title of this thread is mis leading

A real Cammo cover is

A

very expensive

B

Beyond rare

c

Part of a grouping

Apart from the flea market vendor who knocks them out at the rose bowl there are numerous vendors both making the fabric and making these hats today

American rag

Rrl

Rag and bone

To name a few

As stated this cap is post war 100%

Beware of false title

Owen

vintageproductions

I remember in the late 80's-90's there was a local collector / re-enactor that lived in Southern California and was constantly making these. He used real material and would wear them until they looked used and would sell them. The sloppy machine stitching on the sweatband looks exactly like how he did them.

Bellumbill

My issue is the grommets - Grommets are something that need to be applied with a special machine or tool - doubt any marines had those out in the Pacific. The only one with provenance I have ever seen or heard of is Kurts and I don't believe it has grommets?

I bought a "theater made" usmc camouflage cap recently for $50 - its beat up and is made out of shelter half material, no grommets. I think it is a great reenactment piece.

Best,

Bill

ArchangelDM

And the guy at the LA shopping mall knocking them out for $45 told me he made them in theatre on Guam.

I thought he looked a little young but didnt want to be an ageist and took him on his word.

Got him eventually down to $35, I wonder if he is still there I didnt get a receipt.

Ow well I guess Ill be happy wearing some original WW2 frogskin fabric on my fine set of hair at the cost of a baseball cap

ArchangelDM

Thanks to everyone for the input, as usual some fantastic and insightful opinions and comments with excellent explanation from some very knowledgable collectors.

Kurt would love to see that hat in the flesh ! Looks killer

And Bellumbill great shout on the Grommets, something I had not thought about.

Cheers gents

And the guy at the LA shopping mall knocking them out for $45 told me he made them in theatre on Guam.

I thought he looked a little young but didnt want to be an ageist and took him on his word.

Got him eventually down to $35, I wonder if he is still there I didnt get a receipt.

Ow well I guess Ill be happy wearing some original WW2 frogskin fabric on my fine set of hair at the cost of a baseball cap

shawnmt6601

Great stuff :-)

Once again thanks guys

I like it man, It looks great regardless. I'd be happy to own that cap.

I think you have been treated pretty rudely in this thread. I have never understood why some people will just drop in and say something like not real, offer no other explanation or insight then not say a word further on it for a few days. and not even bother to at least show a little courtesy.

Guess part of being a famous expert collector makes one not care how they talk to other people on an internet forum.

There is real and there is real

The title of this thread is mis leading

A real Cammo cover is

A

very expensive

B

Beyond rare

c

Part of a grouping

Apart from the flea market vendor who knocks them out at the rose bowl there are numerous vendors both making the fabric and making these hats today

American rag

Rrl

Rag and bone

To name a few

As stated this cap is post war 100%

Beware of false title

Owen

vintageproductions

I think you have been treated pretty rudely in this thread. I have never understood why some people will just drop in and say something like not real, offer no other explanation or insight then not say a word further on it for a few days. and not even bother to at least show a little courtesy.

It has been laid out fairly well why this cap was not original. What more do you need to be told / shown?