Finally found an original WW2 USMC Camo Utility Cap (cover)

ArchangelDM

ArchangelDM

It has been laid out fairly well why this cap was not original. What more do you need to be told / shown?

Bob

Yes people have aired there opinions on this item. As far as this being not original this Cap is made of original P42 frogskin camo. With regards to date of manufacture there has been no evidence of a date of when this was made/manufactured.

What we do have is a blurry shot of a theatre made cap which I have NO doubt IS theatre made and oroginal.

I think adding a title of not original to an original period piece of Fabric is incorrect.

As stated unless we have a period photo or provenance from the Marine you will never know. But at the same time unless someone shows me a photo of someone knocking these up at the local LA Walmart and selling them for $45 then we will have to go on what it is.

Its an original piece of WW2 frogskin HBT army weave with an unknown date of manufacture.

As stated here some very knowledgable members state it was recently manufactured and not made in WW2.

As stated I respect everyones opinion and there thoughts on it, Even if some statements are made without providing any actual breakdown of why and how.

Im sure others have made there opinions on this item and on the comments made here.

Bob This actually came from a friend we both have in common, this does not prove or disprove the item.

I have gone on his description of the item and his reputation.

I like the item for what it is period made or not.

Yours respectfully

Dean

No one mentioned Walmart.

I clearly stated the Rose Bowl Flea market.

FYI

The Rose bowl flea market is in Pasadena.

If you are going to quote something about your remake cap at least get it right.

ArchangelDM

Popcorn fever and feeing feverish

Having a great read of the Jhonson book on tigerstripe !

What a book

ArchangelDM

Dean

What did the burn test show on the thread?...just curious if its cotton or poly/synthetic?

Pm Sent my friend :-)

shawnmt6601

Popcorn fever and feeing feverish

Having a great read of the Jhonson book on tigerstripe !

What a book

it is a pretty good book. irrespective of the author's personality or morals. it is a pretty good guide with names for the tigers that make them easy for beginners to understand the difference in them instead of just vague stuff like "gold,silver, etc" no idea why the book itself is treated with such snobbishness . its not like anyone else has put out something better to replace it in all these years. its a shame too, all the people out there who know so much about tigers but dont have the time or inclination to publish another guide for one reason or another

I have NEVER understood all the terms and names Johnson gave to tigers. Now you have guys who quote his terms like bible verses, especially the foreign collectors. If you find talking in sentences to describe a pattern when one or 2 words would do the same thing then that is a credit to you.

Besides, the subject is getting sidetracked.

vintageproductions

it is a pretty good book. irrespective of the author's personality or morals. it is a pretty good guide with names for the tigers that make them easy for beginners to understand the difference in them instead of just vague stuff like "gold,silver, etc" no idea why the book itself is treated with such snobbishness . its not like anyone else has put out something better to replace it in all these years. its a shame too, all the people out there who know so much about tigers but dont have the time or inclination to publish another guide for one reason or another

No one started bashing this book on this thread until the original poster decided he wanted to take a swing /dig at Kammoman as he is working on a book(s) about Vietnam used Camo. The OP thought he could make his snide comments and just walk away. So before you accuse people of attacking or slagging off a book, you may want to read the responses posted and understand them a little better in that they were made as a not so veiled smart arse comment.

Well then. Anyway, I like the cap. I'll be on the lookout for a similar one for my collection!

Posted Image

Here’s RRL

This season

When this happens everyone starts selling and making again

Price is $145

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great info Owen.

Id be lying to say I wouldnt wear a pair of those shoes.

G00gle revealed that RRL also makes purses and wallets in frogskin.

Seems the USMC should have patented that print...

A couple of years ago I saw a teenager at the local mall wearing a frogskin jacket. I stopped him and asked him where he got it, and he said Urban Outfitter. I explained to him what the camo print was, and I might as well have been speaking Klingon... God bless him.

You can even get shoes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay let's return to civility or it will vacation time.

Come on' Robert...this thread is one of the most enjoyable I've read on here in a while. Reminds me of the good old days on the WAF when the threads would go on for days and it was a lot like professional wrestling. No punches really thrown, just good clean fun. :D Alex

Come on' Robert...this thread is one of the most enjoyable I've read on here in a while. Reminds me of the good old days on the WAF when the threads would go on for days and it was a lot like professional wrestling. No punches really thrown, just good clean fun. :D Alex

Alex,

I enjoy a good back and forth but it needs not to be personal...I hope we all learn and have a great time...but we are not interested in following the WAF and it's rules or lack of rules occasionally.

ArchangelDM

So Im already up on my original purchase, its gone up from $45 to $145 In a matter of weeks.

Clearly not the same hat but as on the subject of fashion houses recreating pieces from WW2 and Vietnam here is a great website that utilizes the Military designs and remodels it into todays fashion.

https://www.cabourn.com

It even does tiger stripe !

Ive bought these trousers and will wear with the hat.

All joking aside I really like the fact that even after 70 plus years people are still taking the iconic USA designs of the 40,s , 50s and 60s and still loving them today.

History lives on, a guy at the film studios had a pair of frogskin camo jeans made by Ralph Lauren. Spotted them immediately and told him where the design had come from, he was quite amazed that the pattern had come from the USMC in the 40s

Dean

post-8861-0-23813800-1532365585_thumb.jpeg

So its nothing more than an overused pattern sold in a way thats retro.

You obviously fell for the sellers ploy and tried to pass it off to the collectors comunitty as a REAL hat even though it was $45.,

We are not stupid and please dont insult our understanding of actual Wartime Vintage headgear.

If that cap was real it would be $1000.

Boasting of "well I am going to wear it " etc is just silly.

Whats the burn test on the thread.

Ron clearly spelled it out to you in the reply to the PM.

Time for a reality check.

Kammo-man.

Well then. Anyway, I like the cap. I'll be on the lookout for a similar one for my collection!

Can you please tell me point by point why the cap would be suitable for your collection ?

ArchangelDM

Enjoy and buy what you like Us Military Museum and thanks again for the kind comments.

Dean