WW1 Marine Helmet

muddyboots

muddyboots

I picked this up today at a local shop. I dont know to much about these type of helmets so any help would be greatly appreciated

post-24366-0-73096800-1530893386_thumb.jpeg

That's a weird one for sure. The star and Indian head are Composite Regiment style. Could be one where the vet went back and added the diamond and camo later on. I'd like to spend about an hour with that helmet and a loupe.

Hi thanks for posting and only because you asked will I offer some opinions.

Collecting these helmets involves careful analysis. I have found that studying Marine Corps painted helmets of WWI is best accomplished if you study the various units, identifying the style of art used by the individual units as in many cases, the same artist was used within that unit to render these designs. Your helmet, with the red diamond, represents the 1st Battalion of the 6th Marines. What is interesting however, is that the Indianhead logo represented on your helmet is a style that was used exclusively on the Composite Battalion helmets. Company E of the Composite Battalion (Pershings Own) was comprised of US Marines, and was formed in May 1919 for parades, presentations and functions predominantly in the Paris area during the German Occupation after the armistice. Company E had a very distinctive Indian logo, rather large with no background shape behind it. Once again, the Indianhead on your helmet is definately intended to replicate the Composite helmet style Indianhead.

In short, I am not confident your helmet was originally painted in the period. In addition to the style of Indianhead replicated on the wrong unit (1/6 here), the paint looks too fresh. It is also very rare to find a unit painted Marine helmet on a cammo shell. I have never seen a Composite helmet on a cammo shell, negating (for me anyway) the possility the Indianhead might be original and the diamond painted later. I cant tell from your photos if the hole that the ega goes through is punched or drilled, but that may be another indicator. Just my two cents. Kevin

muddyboots

When I removed the EGA there was a small area where there appears to be a older red paint. I suspected that there was newer paint I leaning towards a Vet or a Veterans organization may have done it . We will never know

post-24366-0-91247700-1530898993_thumb.jpeg

It looks like the same artist did the Ingian Head on Star. The camo paint was later possibly by the vet. Here's a pic of an Co.E Composite Regiment , Semper Fi.......Bob

USB ARCHIVE PICS 121.jpg

muddyboots

It looks like the same artist did the Ingian Head on Star. The camo paint was later possibly by the vet. Here's a pic of an Co.E Composite Regiment , Semper Fi.......Bob

USB ARCHIVE PICS 121.jpg

Thanks for the reply and the comparison is very close. I was wondering if a black light might show the difference between paints like modern verses old. Has anyone tried that.

I think you cant overlook the obvious that the original Composite helmets also lacked an ega on them. If you have an originally painted Indianhead and star, the cammo, diamond, and ega are later additions. I am leaning toward Erics assessment of an item more recently painted. I definately dont think the same hand painted the two helmets in comparison.

Just a bit more food for thought. The Composite Battalion was a relatively elite unit. Many of the Marines chosen for this assignment were battle hardened veterans from the 5th and 6th Marines. I have noted a large number of DSC and Silver Star recipients were assigned to Company E. It is hard to understand why one of them would want to change their helmet from such an elite organization to reflect earlier service.I believe they came home at a different time than the 5th and 6th Marines, who for the moist part painted their helmets on the boat ride home in preparation for the parades stateside-New York and Washington DC. Once that was over (August 12th, 1919), most were mustered out. I am just not able to understand why once again a member of the Composite Battalion (who would arrive home after the parades) would add a diamond, ega and the cammo (again I dont recall a cammo paint scheme on a 5th or 6th marine helmet, at least those used in the parades mentioned above). Just a few thoughts.

muddyboots

IMO, an authentic WWI USMC shell turned into a modern fantasy piece.

Chuck

What a shame but the more I look at the cammo it reminds me of the cammo I used to see flying in and out of Wright Patterson Airbase in the early 70s . I seem it on C130s and A7s all the time. I will leave it as is but it would be nice if it was able to be cleaned to the original paint.

muddyboots

After looking at it there are several areas around the star that show green paint. This thing has got me thinking too much!!!!

post-24366-0-11044100-1530926685_thumb.jpeg

jeremiahcable

I think you cant overlook the obvious that the original Composite helmets also lacked an EGA.

Not entirely true. The one that Bob posted a picture of has a low mounted EGA that the marine applied during that period.

jeremiahcable

Does anyone know who the helmet maker is.

The shells are pretty much unknown, a number of companies made them. If you flip down the black part of the liner there will probably have a stamp with a date or possibly some other information. English made ones will say "Brodie's". English made ones also have the chin strap loops on the side held on by split pins. American made shells used rivets.

Easiest way to tell a British Brodie pattern is the chin strap swivels will have a split rivit where as a US made helmet will have solid peened rivits that hold the swivel in place

Not entirely true. The one that Bob posted a picture of has a low mounted EGA that the marine applied during that period.[/

Jeremiah,you are right. I had to go into the archives to see it on Bobs helmet. The Composite Battalion took a yard long photo that is a great picture with their painted helmets. In that photo as I recall there were no ega's, and certainly most of these that come to market are sans the ega. Bobs helmet must be an example of a Marine adding one perhaps at a later date. Once again, this unit was all spit and polish and esprit de corps was the order of the day. No doubt when the unit was together, consistency was a must. I would suggest Bobs was an exception not the rule in this regard.