M1 Front Seam Fixed Bail with Hawley Liner salvage

HelmetguyCT

HelmetguyCT

This morning I just stopped this M1 helmet from getting tossed in the garbage. It's a front seam fixed bail with a 207C heat stamp. It also has a Hawley liner, or the remains of one. The liner is in pretty rough shape. The front brim of the liner seems to have been painted white on the underside. It also may have had a net on top at one point as there is one lonely string attached to the rear. It has been stored someplace where humidity got the best of it. None the less a great find. Anyone have an idea of heat stamp year of production? I am thinking 1941-1942

post-177166-0-01076300-1530804422.jpg

post-177166-0-83885500-1530804430.jpg

post-177166-0-37805300-1530804440.jpg

post-177166-0-32754100-1530804448.jpg

Your shell was made in June of 1942 so it has definitely been with the 3rd pattern Hawley for a long time.

HelmetguyCT

Thanks guys. Sorry about the lighting, its making the paint shine. Its a very dark olive drab paint, but I believe blue paint may have been spilled on it since there is some on the liner. It has nice patina

Hard to believe someone wanted to toss it into the trash. Nice one, give the helmet a good new home!

Michael

Burning Hazard

Nice salvage! The stainless steel rim has brownish stains on it; looks like the shell was coated with shellac in the past to try and preserve it.

Pat

Theorywolf

Great you were able to get your hands on it! Hey if you know the house it came from maybe see if you can get it ID'ed!

HelmetguyCT

Thanks for all the comments guys. It came from the Wallingford, CT area which has had many many service members. I will try and get ahold of the woman. I was curious what the brown staining of the rim was, but shellac makes perfect sense and I didnt think of that. The paint under the liner brim is for sun glare?

Hunter Whittaker

Great save! What's the story of you saving it? I'd love to hear how you came across it.