313th BOMB GROUP - THEATER MADE

firefighter

firefighter

313th BOMB Gp. Year's later it would be the 313th Air DivisionPosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Its likely that this patch is actually the 313th Air Division, which was activated in 1955 at Kadena Air Base in Okinawa, Japan. It looks like a classic 1950's era Japanese made patch.

firefighter

Its likely that this patch is actually the 313th Air Division, which was activated in 1955 at Kadena Air Base in Okinawa, Japan. It looks like a classic 1950's era Japanese made patch.

I was thinking that.But the 313th Bomb Wg was deactivated in 1948 and the, as you stated,313th Air Division established in 1955. Would they have worn this type of design on the mid-late 50s. And I agree, Japanese made.

I've been corrected by another, far more advanced patch collector, who believes that this is NOT Japanese made but rather Okinawa made. As an American I think thats kinda splitting hairs since Okinawa is technically part of Japan, but of course the Japanese and Okinawans see themselves as distinctly different cultures so its makes sense. Either way, he too believes this is a mid-1950s 313th Air Division patch.

As for that "type of design", I assume you mean the Army Air Force inspired design? Not that out of the question, as the winged star emblem was still widely emblazoned on fight cloth during this period. Its not like those designs died in 1947.

firefighter

I've been corrected by another, far more advanced patch collector, who believes that this is NOT Japanese made but rather Okinawa made. As an American I think thats kinda splitting hairs since Okinawa is technically part of Japan, but of course the Japanese and Okinawans see themselves as distinctly different cultures so its makes sense. Either way, he too believes this is a mid-1950s 313th Air Division patch.

As for that "type of design", I assume you mean the Army Air Force inspired design? Not that out of the question, as the winged star emblem was still widely emblazoned on fight cloth during this period. Its not like those designs died in 1947.

Its fun you mention the two different islands. When I went to Okinawa in 1985 I was told not to call the people Japanese, but they sold Japanese flags. LOL!!

As for design, I just meant it was a ‘shield’.I thought they were using the shields with and without scrolls by then, especially for higher commands.

Thank you for the information.