WW1 Camouflage Helmet

warpath

WW1 Camouflage Helmet. This came with a collection I recently purchased, but there is no history with it. The shell appears to have been lacquered over the camouflage paint.

post-3653-0-81553300-1530726023_thumb.jpg

post-3653-0-19910400-1530726033_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

How bout this......does this look 100 years old? Well it isnt. Its 101 years old.

You cannot judge a book by its cover.

Ronnie

post-7752-0-95658900-1532553412.jpeg

post-7752-0-89395700-1532553450.jpeg

Photos were taken in direct sunlight and the shell has an old coat of lacquer. The finish is actually dull with wear and the photos are too bright.

27Division18

I agree with David D. The paintwork, even with the lacquer applied, does not appear of WWI vintage to me.

I think collectors tend to think that unless a helmet is full of rust with cracked paint, then there is no way it could be legit. Yet, I have opened footlockers which have been stored in great environments, full of militaria that looks like it was just issued. These little time capsules can often produce helmets like this. That said, I do see what looks like airbrushing. Maybe some closeups would help.

27Division18

If you examine the texture of the paint, the pattern in which it was applied (particularly at the margins, where one color joins another), as well as the spectrum of colors and their luster, you will see that the paintwork is far more consistent with a fairly modern spray paint than the 100-year old, solid consistency, textured/contoured, hand-applied paint in use circa 1918-19.

I think collectors tend to think that unless a helmet is full of rust with cracked paint, then there is no way it could be legit. Yet, I have opened footlockers which have been stored in great environments, full of militaria that looks like it was just issued. These little time capsules can often produce helmets like this. That said, I do see what looks like airbrushing. Maybe some closeups would help.

Actually I wasnt going based on the nice condition or the fact that there isnt rust. I have helmets and ive seen helmets that are original without rust. I was saying that because they didnt have airbrushes in 1918 as far as im concerned. As it has that look like you said.

Actually I wasnt going based on the nice condition or the fact that there isnt rust. I have helmets and ive seen helmets that are original without rust. I was saying that because they didnt have airbrushes in 1918 as far as im concerned. As it has that look like you said.

Agreed, airbrushing is a more modern thing but, I'm not even certain that is the case here. That was why I said that closeups might help clarify.