Interesting Bronze EGA

Belleauwood

Picked up this nice colored bronze EGA recently that is period and die struck.

It appears that the blank from which this particular EGA was struck had some slag-like

defects on the surface that, when struck, appeared as islands in both oceans. I have

not examined many EGA's per say, but this does not appear to be a die issue. At any rate,

if you need an odd bird for your collection, here it is!

post-3422-1227896560.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Hi Dennis, this is a very attractive 1920 service cover emblem, the patina and aging of this piece is wonderful! Sharing a couple with you from my bird's nest. Note, both have the same "defects" per se. In Numismatic terms these oddities are refereed to as encrustation (adhesions, if you will). The cause is typically a flan crack, which is more often than not usually caused during striking, using sub quality die(s). And often the flan may not have been hot enough. In most cases these flan chips become a part of the die and damage the striking surfaces. Another cause can be irregular flan lamination, wherein the emblem surface areas are deposited with a thin layer of the metal separated from the flan during striking. You can see this in emblems edges which are irregular due to uneven spread of the flan upon striking.

This series of emblem is fraught with this problem, more often than not. Who ever the maker was for these never attempted to correct the processes, nor the problems with the screw-posts popping of the emblem when tighten to the cover. Thus, most we see today have period repairs, as well as the modern day type repairs which are quite easy to spot.

Yours is a very attractive emblem, for sure! s/f Darrell

1930_dress_EGA_w_casting_crud_003.jpg

Darrell,

Many thanks for the education. As much as I love these EGA's, I feel that I'll never be able to learn the dating and variations that exist in these great birds. I feel that this is a fire bronze material but obviously not marked.

Thanks again,

Dennis

teufelhunde.ret
I feel that this is a fire bronze material but obviously not marked. Thanks again, Dennis

Dennis, very possible - its appearance screams fire bronze. These "fire bronze" items are indeed a study of their own right. So often we see emblems show up w/o the hallmark (as in this piece) and others than had no visual clue of being from the fire bronze process. For those interested here is a link to a thread which outlines the process and several examples: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=9951

Semper Fi, Darrell