Found ID to elusive emblem ..........

Johnny Signor

Johnny Signor

Here's a couple of images I found online of an emblem I think someone on this forum was also looking for, one I've had along time and FINALLY found Hoooooo Ahhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!! The book cover title has "Stagin Wing Hunter Field, Georgia on it and of course the emblem , hope this helps whoever else was searching for it ,enjoy :)

Johnny

post-2068-0-82085600-1530635848.jpg

post-2068-0-23048800-1530635861.jpg

post-2068-0-08973700-1530635875.jpg

ocsfollowme

Nice work! That makes me think another unknown of the Indian shooting a bomber is a staging area one too!

Thanks for posting

Johnny Signor

Nice work! That makes me think another unknown of the Indian shooting a bomber is a staging area one too!

Thanks for posting

Yes , you're thinking along the same lines as I am and this is the one you mean …...

post-2068-0-96268300-1530655612.jpg

Not trying to rain on the parade, but that looks like a squadron patch. Normally (if that term can be used when dealing with patches!) there would be squadrons assigned under any wing, even a named one like above. Of course, there's always exceptions to the rule and that could be one of them. Just food for thought. At lease with that book cover you have a place to start digging.

Randy

Another example of the original patch of the discussion from Hunter Field appeared in an ebay auction in Jan 2015. The auction included the same book as above along with the patch. On the back of the patch was written, "302nd AAF Base Unit, Hunter Field, GA. My guess is that it was more recently marked (not during WWII) because of the use of "GA" and not "Ga" as would have been the norm at the time.

Johnny Signor

Another example of the original patch of the discussion from Hunter Field appeared in an ebay auction in Jan 2015. The auction included the same book as above along with the patch. On the back of the patch was written, "302nd AAF Base Unit, Hunter Field, GA. My guess is that it was more recently marked (not during WWII) because of the use of "GA" and not "Ga" as would have been the norm at the time.

O.K. good to know , first I've seen that title for it ,thanks :)

Johnny Signor

Not trying to rain on the parade, but that looks like a squadron patch. Normally (if that term can be used when dealing with patches!) there would be squadrons assigned under any wing, even a named one like above. Of course, there's always exceptions to the rule and that could be one of them. Just food for thought. At lease with that book cover you have a place to start digging.

Randy

Well that is also a good possibility too, but I kind of think it being a "Wing" that the base may have had a large aircraft parking area for aircraft to wait until ready to send on to active units overseas, and thus the "Wing" used just the one emblem seeing as the ac just sat waiting for pickup ,so maybe "squadron" level wasn't needed here, but again I'm open to more proof , anything is possible, and I agree "usually" Squadron types were of round shape by "Regs" but that also wasn't always followed …..

Thanks for the input Randy :)

Highly possible it may be related to the 302 Air Base Unit Steve was talking about. There seemed to be many insignia linked to those types of units, all unofficial and hard to nail down. I can't think f a single example where a wing didn't have a squadron or some subordinate formation under it. Again, there's always that exception but I've not seen it.

Randy

After mid-1944, the official title of the unit was:

302nd AAF Base Unit (Third Air Force Staging Wing), Hunter Field, Savannah, Georgia

Attached picture announces a New Years Ball, 1945

post-14361-0-74594400-1531026585_thumb.jpg

Johnny Signor

After mid-1944, the official title of the unit was:

302nd AAF Base Unit (Third Air Force Staging Wing), Hunter Field, Savannah, Georgia

Attached picture announces a New Years Ball, 1945

Awesome, thanks for this additional link to the emblem :)

Johnny

• 1 year later...
ocsfollowme

On the red cross coat there are several british formation patches along with the US Army Physical Training Unit (british made). Someone from the 3rd AF staging must have flown to England. Or vice versa.