A little bit different Air Commando patch

Siamundo

I recently picked this up as I thought it was a bit unusual. Very nicely hand done embroidery which appears Vietnamese made. At first glance appears to be a typical Tactical Air Command patch but if you look closely it actually says Air Commando. Maybe it is common, but I just hadn't noticed one before.

post-2744-0-31011600-1530585216_thumb.jpg

Yep, VN made but I don't think it's too common at all. I've never seen one that I remember. Nice pick up.

Randy

Thank you Randy. I always value your knowledge and information when it comes to Air Force patches. A couple of weeks ago the same seller had 3 different auctions on ebay all with assorted Vietnam vintage insignia from the 13th Bomb Squadron included. Unfortunately I was only able to win one of three and this was in that group. Thank you also firefighter, I appreciate it!

• 1 month later...

Thank you firefighter. I am not sure if I knew that or not.

Don’t quote me on that one. But I thought I read somewhere the Air Commandos were TAC. Which I could remember where I saw that.

Special Operations Units

Air Force Special Forces units became part of TAC in 1961 when a counter-insurgency force was activated at Eglin AFB, Florida. Aircraft of these units consisted of a combination of propeller-driven World War II and Korean War-vintage fighters, modified trainers, Douglas B-26 Invader attack bombers and an eclectic collection of cargo and utility aircraft.[15] Originally activated as a Combat Crew Training Squadron, the unit was upgraded to a wing and designated as the 1st Air Commando Wing. In 1964, TAC ordered a squadron of specially modified C-130E aircraft to support U.S. Army Special Forces and Central Intelligence Agency teams operating deep inside enemy territory. As the war in Vietnam intensified, additional air commando units were organized in Southeast Asia. In 1968, these units were redesignated as "Special Operations" squadrons, groups and wings.