M-18 smoke grenade, will it continue burning if thrown in water?

BOLO

It will continue to burn

Incidentally, that is the way to deactivate them-keeping the paint looking good for display. Pull then pin and Drop them in a barrel of water

if a person wanted to extinguish a burning M-18 smoke grenade, would submersing it in water make it stop burning?

Bolo, I have this great mental image of you asking this question while a cloud of smoke billows up behind you. :lol:

Please set up a video camera when you do this, as we would all like to see the result!

This is something you might want to do outdoors, away from the neighbors.

El Bibliotecario

I recall that as a kid when I dropped a weighted cherry bomb into the lake a certain amount of smoke rose from the water after detonation. I'm happy to report that I've since outgrown such behavior.

I was told by an EOD guy to remove the fuse assembly, then cut the bottom out with a can opener, then scoop out the stuff (being careful as it will stain and not come off).

I'd think the heat generated bya buring one would still blister the exterior paint, but maybe the water acts as a heat sink? Anyone tried it?

• 1 month later...

In the vietnam book "Blood Trails" by Christopher Ronnau, he says he heard a jungle legend that a smoke grenade would poison water. When he was in a VC camp he said he tried it and threw one in a well and "It fizzled, farted, sank, and went out."

Later some other guys decided to throw a VC body into the well to make sure it was undrinkable.

I tossed a yellow smoke into a bucket of water.......It still smoked a lot because of the volume of water, or rather the lack of it. After I filled the bucket some more, with a water hose, (I had it standing by ) it still smoked but not near as much. The casing came out just fine, no blistering to the paint. The water had a lot of yellowish solids in it, so maybe it would poison a well or some other non flowing source. I also had fired a red smoke, not it the water. I thought it would never go out! :blink: Remember, it does get extremly hot, that sucker will start a fire if thrown in with combustibles. Dave