Any ideas on how to clean dirt on ww1 helmets

FightenIrish35

FightenIrish35

I recently started to get into WW1 Helmets and Ive noticed that all of them dirt on the outside lid and sometimes on the inside. What would be the "correct"way toremove the dirt without doing anything to the texture and original paint underneath the dirt?

Thanks

I recently started to get into WW1 Helmets and Ive noticed that all of them dirt on the outside lid and sometimes on the inside. What would be the "correct"way toremove the dirt without doing anything to the texture and original paint underneath the dirt?

Thanks

Outside of blowing them off with canned air, I don't clean them.

Other than compressed air (on low pressure), a soft cloth for gently wiping them down and a very soft brush (very!) lightly, there's not much else you can do for them without taking the chance of damaging them. Of course, I think that a little dirt gives them a bit of character...after all, they are 90 years old...

Dave

FightenIrish35

thanks for the information guys...i defintly dont want to damage the look at all and i agree the dirt does give it a nice look.Ill try the compressed air definitly.

I would leave it in the state you have found it in.

There is nothing wrong with a little dirt.....after all, this is from the places helmets were meant to go....battle!

My two cents....

Duffy

Dirt, especially dust, which accumulates on items has a slightly base Ph, and is hydrophillic. Over time it can draw the oils out of paints causing them to become brittle, hastening deterioration. Attic dust is often somewhat more so as it is frequently made up of soot, along with garden variety dirt.

Only you can decide if you want to clean your helmet, but as has already been stated, generally, less is more when it comes to "cleaning" of artifacts. Many antiques have been ruined by well intentioned "cleaning." Like the others, I usually prefer to blow the dust off with compressed air.

With VERY dirty helmets (so dirty I didn't even want to handle them) I have had good results by cleaning with a dilute solution of ivory soap and water, and a very soft brush. I like to use the brush in a gentle circular motion. After loosening the dirt, I then rinse the helmet with clean, clear water being careful to avoid getting water on any of the liner-parts.

FightenIrish35
Dirt, especially dust, which accumulates on items has a slightly base Ph, and is hydrophillic. Over time it can draw the oils out of paints causing them to become brittle, hastening deterioration. Attic dust is often somewhat more so as it is frequently made up of soot, along with garden variety dirt.

Only you can decide if you want to clean your helmet, but as has already been stated, generally, less is more when it comes to "cleaning" of artifacts. Many antiques have been ruined by well intentioned "cleaning." Like the others, I usually prefer to blow the dust off with compressed air.

With VERY dirty helmets (so dirty I didn't even want to handle them) I have had good results by cleaning with a dilute solution of ivory soap and water, and a very soft brush. I like to use the brush in a gentle circular motion. After loosening the dirt, I then rinse the helmet with clean, clear water being careful to avoid getting water on any of the liner-parts.

thanks cwnorma,

I wont clean the ones i have because there not that dirty i was very concerned on the dirt inside deteriate the leather and all. I will save this information for if i get a real dirty one.

Appreciate it a bunch!

Let me point out what may not be completely obvious but, when we state "compressed air" we're talking about low pressure air, similar to that found in the cans of air for computers or about 20psi. Don't use you neighbors 20 horse air compressor with 180 pounds of pressure. the results would be less than desirable. pinch.gif

FightenIrish35
Let me point out what may not be completely obvious but, when we state "compressed air" we're talking about low pressure air, similar to that found in the cans of air for computers or about 20psi. Don't use you neighbors 20 horse air compressor with 180 pounds of pressure. the results would be less than desirable. pinch.gif

oh my ,no i wasnt going to do that with the neigbors powerful one..wouldnt that be a shame if someone did that crying.gif Im going to leave as is maybe one dad ill have the courage to do the low air pressure..but ill just keep as is. Thanks you gentleman. thumbsup.gif

Ditto..... I agree 100% After cleaning and drying, I use a light oil. I know oil will attract dust, but I use light compressed air and a duster every week to reduce the build up. WD40 and a soft brush also works well when cleaning up helmets that were found in a barn and last used by chickens.

Cheers,

Henry

Ditto..... I agree 100% After cleaning and drying, I use a light oil. I know oil will attract dust, but I use light compressed air and a duster every week to reduce the build up. WD40 and a soft brush also works well when cleaning up helmets that were found in a barn and last used by chickens.

Cheers,

Henry

With all due respect, I highly disagree! NO OIL of any kind should be used on these helmets. Attracting dirt is the least of the problems you can have with this. Oil will with time soften the paint on your helmet and will soak into the sawdust that was used on these WWI lids. It will also damage and rush the deterioration of any leather on the helmet. WD-40 is a petroleum product and will do as much damage as oil... only a little slower.

• 2 months later...

Thank you for all the advice. I have a WWI Helmet 2nd Div 9th Inf HQ with a bit of rust over the Indian head and parts of the black pentagon. I will try some ivry soap and a wash cloth on it to see if I can remove some of the rust that is obscuring some of the detail of the face.

Regards

John

I use two products for cleaning and to remove rust. Both are widely used by museums and both are extremely good at removing dirt or rust without damaging the underlaying metal or paint (with some exceptions).

I use Vulpex which is a potassium methyl cyclohexyl oleate soap. This soap has been very good cleaning many different materials including feathers on some old Philipine arrows I have (I found out they used it to clean the feathers on an Indian head dress at a local museum).

The only problem I had was when cleaning an Iron Cross evidently issued late in WW2. It aparantly was painted with water based paint and as I cleaned it some of the paint came off. Thankfully I was testing in a small area and didn't completely ruin the paint.

Vulpex is a soap that you do not want to use without using gloves because it will suck moisture out of your skin. Research the soap and follow the instructions you find before using it.

The product that I use to remove rust is Renaissance Metal De-Corroder. I've used this stuff on many different types of metal to remove rust and corrosion. It works without damaging the metal or the paint in all cases that I've used it in. This stuff has not discolored the metal like Naval Jelly.

To protect the metals that I've cleaned I use the Renaissance Wax. It's a natural wax and will not harm most if not all metal or painted surfaces.

I've used this on silver items with great success. Silver items that I've used the wax on have gone over a year without tarnishing. I've used it on some of my antique guns instead of using an oil based preserver and have had no rust in years. It's an amazing product and can be easily cleaned off when desired.

As with anything you do to clean and preserve your artifacts research, study, and testing is always called for. You never know what affect your cleaning or preserving will have on an artifact so be careful.

I agree with the statement that "less is more" when it comes to cleaning and preserving artifacts but that's a choice the individual has to make. I also agree that removing corrosive elements that reside on our artifacts helps preserve them for future appreciation.

I started my education in preservation by going to museums and asking how they preserve their artifacts. Find out who does the preservation at the museums near you and give them a call. I've found that most people at museums will be more than happy to help you.