5th MARDIV Corpsman Uniform on eBay - Forgery?

Lucky 7th Armored

Lucky 7th Armored

This uniform, named F H ALBERTY, was discussed on one of the USMC Facebook groups and one commenter and forum member here mentioned that the stamped name shares characteristics from a modern day “COM-PAC” stamping kit.

The seller also recently sold a Purple Heart recipient 5th MARDIV coat with the same style of stamping.

I have seen questionable items sold by the seller in the past as well that didn’t leave me with a warm and fuzzy feeling.

I figured I would post it here for discussion as well and to possibly warn any potential forum members who have bid or planned to.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lucky 7th Armored

Their other 5th MARDIV Purple Heart recipient coat, named J J GOSSET, recently sold with the same style stamp.

de9e37dc8c9ec1c4f878a7c387c83207.jpg8c3265471d3529b1d0da8807a12c6e7e.jpg

I don't like the stamping on these, it doesn't look like any real stamping I have ever seen. It also doesn't make me feel good since they are the exact same.

-Seth

Raidercollector

I discussed this topic in real or what,under the 5th, heading 5 days ago There are more comments about this uniform which should tell you something. I WOULD NOT BUY THIS UNIFORM.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lucky 7th Armored

I discussed this topic in real or what,under the 5th, heading 5 days ago There are more comments about this uniform which should tell you something. I WOULD NOT BUY THIS UNIFORM.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahh, I should have checked there first.. Either way, more exposure the better. Hopefully the buyer does a google search and these threads pop up.. Ended at $405... Seller does not accept returns. yikes. What a real shame and dishonor to the real corpsman.

Bellumbill

Of course you guys are right about this - My question is from a cursory check this corpsman was no one "special", so how do these fakers get these names that are so random? - i hope you know what I mean by that - No PH or BS, I am not sure how to say it but if I wanted to fake something i could find a corpsman that looked like a random choice but at least won a PH.

Recall the "Gosset" jacket - there WAS a Sgt. Gossett wounded in WWII with the 5th Division so guess he is doing some research but, again, so random.

In fairness, we really have no idea if it the seller who is making this stuff up or if HE was the victim of a faker. Crazy out there!

Best,

Bill

Raidercollector

Bill. It was his second uniform named the same way . He had another ww2 marine that was posted for sale on facebook named the same way. That was shown here in the discussion.

Nick

Bob Hudson

You can see a lot of examples of vintage Marine gear with rubber stamped names. The uniforms shown above have names with a"shadow" around each letter, something I don't recall ever seeing in vintage uniforms/gear. There are many examples here site:usmilitariaforum.com usmc armpit name

Here's the two styles:

name.jpeg

jeremiahcable

Of course you guys are right about this - My question is from a cursory check this corpsman was no one "special", so how do these fakers get these names that are so random? - i hope you know what I mean by that - No PH or BS, I am not sure how to say it but if I wanted to fake something i could find a corpsman that looked like a random choice but at least won a PH.

Recall the "Gosset" jacket - there WAS a Sgt. Gossett wounded in WWII with the 5th Division so guess he is doing some research but, again, so random.

In fairness, we really have no idea if it the seller who is making this stuff up or if HE was the victim of a faker. Crazy out there!

Best,

Bill

Bill, the 5th Marine Division's book "The Spearhead" was published shortly after the war and contains rosters of all the marines and sailors, as well as some soldiers from attached units. There is also a section for those that were awarded medals, and were wounded/KIA/MIA. That is a likely source for the names.

subsystem4

Best,

Bill

If you have an ancestry or fold3 account you can search the marine muster rolls, of individual units if you want, with key words like hospital or rank of pharmacist mate etc, and pull up names of guys who were corpsman in those units very easily. It would not be hard to put together a jacket like that. Using a sailor with a pretty mundane service history would be one way to avoid real suspicion and scrutiny. I'm not accusing anybody here I'm just pointing out how easy it would be to build a fake jacket with period insignia, a stamp, and 10 min worth of research. With the way prices seem to be going up for certain areas of collecting I think its worth taking a second or third look at things.

-J

subsystem4

I also emailed the seller and politely asked to get some history on the uniform, where and when he got it, and he was rude and insulting so I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Raidercollector

I hope the buyer is not a member here ? . And has not read any of the discussion here ? He would be shocked.