Para Ovals

I debated about putting these in the patch section but since one of the ovals has embroidered para wings, went ahead and put them here. Only the front side fit on this post so I'll make a follow-on post with a view of the backsides. I think the top and second on the left are for an 11th Abn. I had initially thought the middle top and second were 502nd but since the backing and embroidery are exactly the same color, I think they're unassigned infantry. I also think the top and second right are 508th PIR. Third from top left an center are 511th as best I can determine. I believe third row bottom is 505th. I have no idea what the two bottom ones are.

Again, the PIR identifications given are just my guesses, certainly not authoritative. None of these glow under black light except for the two tiny glue spots that are on the back of the middle row second from top. I also am not sure which, if any, are WW-II vintage. Perhaps some of the Para experts can provide me with more info.

post-1107-1227812817.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Bill - the top set appears from the photos to have two metal bronze stars attached is that correct or are they swen in a dark color thread? Additionally how common is it to add the stars to this type of oval?

John

Bill - the top set appears from the photos to have two metal bronze stars attached is that correct or are they swen in a dark color thread? Additionally how common is it to add the stars to this type of oval?

John

Hi John. They do, indeed, have metal stars pushed through the embroidered wings. As to how common that practice was, I have no idea.....it’s the way I got them.

I don't know that much about them and actually posted them in the hope someone more knowledgeable on these ovals would tell me a bit more about them.

Bill,

According to this flash and trim page

http://www.military-insignia.us/Pages/Spec...sInsignia.html#

You're right on your assessment. The bottom left oval is 82nd HQ oval, the bottom right is the 714th Airborne Tank Battalion from the 82nd Airborne Division (1950 - 1954).

As far as the combat jump pins through jump wings embroidered on the oval, I've not seen that before!

Regards,

Wiley