I've looked around the net and have not seen another one like this. Beneath the writing is a circle which could be a corporate logo. Within the circle are the letters AN and beneath those letters what seems to be H-64 . Any comments or ideas?

post-180673-0-16748900-1530118579_thumb.jpg

post-180673-0-08546500-1530118658_thumb.jpg

Rare early war mask with an insulating cover to protect the expansion bag from freezing. Google the A-8B oxygen mask for more details. The AN mark is Army/Navy acceptance/inspection stamp.

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

If buying as a WWII mask I would certainly want to have a look at the actual mask. Condition-wise many have a disintegrated bladder. These types of masks were actually made again post war -VN era IIRC. There are differences but I cannot think of them off hand. Mine has a 42G Drawing number and Property of Air Forces US Army on the sides of the filters. The cover is obviously not VN era. Buyers just need to be aware of a similar but much later mask possibly made to look early war.

JMO,

Dave

• 6 months later...

Rare early war mask with an insulating cover to protect the expansion bag from freezing. Google the A-8B oxygen mask for more details. The AN mark is Army/Navy acceptance/inspection stamp.

You were spot on. I just picked up "Vintage Flying Helmets" by Mick Prodger and there it is on page 275.

If buying as a WWII mask I would certainly want to have a look at the actual mask. Condition-wise many have a disintegrated bladder. These types of masks were actually made again post war -VN era IIRC. There are differences but I cannot think of them off hand. Mine has a 42G Drawing number and Property of Air Forces US Army on the sides of the filters. The cover is obviously not VN era. Buyers just need to be aware of a similar but much later mask possibly made to look early war.

JMO,

Dave

the ww2 A8 masks are dated and should be marked U S Army Airforce I believe. The early A8 had leather head straps and the Vietnam era masks had rubber head straps.

Go Navy!

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif