Does anyone collect Aviation & Cavalry Pocket Patches?

Peter De Waele

Peter De Waele

post-183315-0-41739700-1530118467_thumb.jpg

I think they are fascinating. There are so many variations of the same design for different units.

Given the fact that they were never officially authorized, I think the designs move from one unit to another with the wearers changing units.

Is there a good source for referencing/dating these patches?

Thanks

Peter

Using the Flying Tigers from the 229th as an example...the original similar was I think authorized during late Vietnam era with permission from the AVG Assn ( and perhaps Disney). This basic design has stuck around with some changes over the years. Usually some member of a unit will decide there needs to be a change and the Unit CO will approve same and then have x number of patches made for the troops. Sometimes a whole new design will be designated , perhaps when mission changed or aircraft type changed , etc. They are unofficial but worn with pride either as a button on patch ( not so much these days) or sewn on flight jackets, flight suits, and or "fatigues". The collecting of them is wide spread and you should do a study on the history of the unit to understand perhaps where and how the patch was created and why.

Peter De Waele

Thank you for your input!

I believe this one was made in Germany.

Using the Flying Tigers from the 229th as an example...the original similar was I think authorized during late Vietnam era with permission from the AVG Assn ( and perhaps Disney). This basic design has stuck around with some changes over the years. Usually some member of a unit will decide there needs to be a change and the Unit CO will approve same and then have x number of patches made for the troops. Sometimes a whole new design will be designated , perhaps when mission changed or aircraft type changed , etc. They are unofficial but worn with pride either as a button on patch ( not so much these days) or sewn on flight jackets, flight suits, and or "fatigues". The collecting of them is wide spread and you should do a study on the history of the unit to understand perhaps where and how the patch was created and why.

Patchcollector

I collect Army Aviation patches.Many of the postwar patches kept the basic designs used in Vietnam.

Here is a link to one thread I started about Post Vietnam War Army Aviation pieces:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/274484-some-post-vietnam-war-army-aviation-patches/?hl=%2Bpost+%2Bvietnam+%2Baviation

easterneagle87

This is a LOVELY rabbit hole! As a former Army Aviator I have a soft spot for them. Yes, many, many, many variations. Add a deployment - patches. Add a conflict - patches. Change the uniform color - patches. Attack, Support, Lift, Medevac - patches. Have fun!

Peter De Waele

Thank you, that is a great thread!

I collect Army Aviation patches.Many of the postwar patches kept the basic designs used in Vietnam.

Here is a link to one thread I started about Post Vietnam War Army Aviation pieces:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/274484-some-post-vietnam-war-army-aviation-patches/?hl=%2Bpost+%2Bvietnam+%2Baviation

easterneagle87

Just as an example, Here are two that recently came into my hands. Moth to a flame

The 114th AHC patch is from Vietnam and

The HHC 5-101 Raiders, is one I had made for my section in 1992. The line companies had theirs, why shouldn't with have one for the re-fuelers. There aren't many of those around. Am glad to have it back, as I gave it to a friend and over 25 years later and now I got it back.

post-9131-0-68573000-1530132104_thumb.jpg

Peter De Waele

Nice ones indeed!

I have a Vietnamese made 114th too.

Will check if I have the HHC/5/101st, but I think so.

Just as an example, Here are two that recently came into my hands. Moth to a flame

The 114th AHC patch is from Vietnam and

The HHC 5-101 Raiders, is one I had made for my section in 1992. The line companies had theirs, why shouldn't with have one for the re-fuelers. There aren't many of those around. Am glad to have it back, as I gave it to a friend and over 25 years later and now I got it back.