What Was The Last Year For G.I. 30-06 ?

usmce4

I've been under the impression the last year for G.I. 30-06 ammo other than match was 1969, but somebody offered me Lake City M2 Tracers headstamped "LC 71"

Does anybody have solid info on this? The price is good, but I told him I'll get back to him (when I know what's what). To add to the confusion they are in WWII vintage enbloc clips (although that really means nothing - they could have been put in there last night)

Any help appreciated

Art

I don't know about ball but they're still cranking out blank for our use in funeral honors. I like do not think I've seen any ball M-2 dated past late 60's.

Thanks guys.

I don't know where I got it from, but as I said above I was under the impression 1969 was the cut-off for all but match.

Thanks to your info I'll jump on the guy's offer - $5 a clip for tracer and $4 a clip for ball and in WWII marked enblocs I can't see how I could go wrong.

Art

I think that's a very fair price. From the collector standpoint - as in buy and have / keep it in your collection - its a great price given what it is, and from the shooter standpoint it's really good too. You cannot go to the store and get 30-06 for only .50 cents a round.

Buy it all!

• 2 weeks later...

US supplied Marvin the ARVIN with M2 ball. They had .30 Carbines, M-1's, BARs and 1919's.

AH! As Mr Spock would say: Very logical explaination

Thanks, Art

silverplate

Some of my reference materials showed that Lake City made .30-06 from 1942-1945, 1951-late 70s, 1993, and 2002. Hope this helps Art. Regards, Charlie

• 1 month later...

I visited LC last fall. They are still producing .30-06 blanks in relatively low quantities, but have not produced ball in years.

They still operate machines in certain production areas with WWII era dates. I saw a few of them although I dont recall what those particular machines were used for. The folks I talked to said for certain applications modern machines cannot do the same jobs with equal accuracy and reliability. It doesnt make sense to tear out 75 year old machines that are still working just fine. It was neat to see vintage equipment interspersed with modern machines.