"Soldiers In Hiding" Mid-80s doc about Vietnam Vets Escaping to the Wilderness

Garandomatic

Garandomatic

This popped up on the youtube recommendations today and I watched it. Very sad doc about guys that saw more than they could take. Half a dozen or so are featured, many live in the woods using the skills they picked up in the war. I've known Nam vets that were able to cope OK, I know of a few that didn't cope well. Made me think about them.

I am posting this mostly to see if anybody had ever heard of it before, and if so, I would sure like to know if any of these fellows made it and are still living today. Hope so. That's a long shot, though, for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC4G-JUnMFc

easterneagle87

I took a moment and watched this. Interesting. Certainly a different time. I was 8 to 10 years old when our vets were coming back. Being for the most part only 10 years younger than most of these, we young people didn't know what they went through and older vets knew but did their own thing. I'm just speaking in generalities and from my own perspective. I wonder where they are today.

My generation was treated better. Since coming back from Desert Shield/Storm, we weren't treated that way and these kids coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan, are getting more of the support needed to continue their lives. Some have a long way to go and there are some I think who wish they could drop off the grid.

What ever your experience, know that you are appreciated.

Garandomatic

Definitely. One of Dad's buddies drag raced, then flat track raced, then superbikes (placed 7th at Daytona in '76), then flat bottom drag boats, then acrobatic flying in a PT-17 Stearman, and even that got boring for him. Rainy days were the worst for him, sent him right back to some bad times.