How did I do?

BSRmilitaria

BSRmilitaria

Hi guys,

Its been a while since ive collected US WWII M1 helmets, and would like to hear your thoughts on my most recent find.

I looked for a front seam, and one with the Khaki colored webbing - did I do good?

Thanks all for the help.

William

post-170153-0-97821100-1530042659_thumb.jpg

post-170153-0-78284800-1530042667_thumb.jpg

post-170153-0-08377400-1530042676_thumb.jpg

post-170153-0-42668700-1530042682_thumb.jpg

post-170153-0-98821400-1530042688_thumb.jpg

post-170153-0-51961500-1530042694_thumb.jpg

William,

You did well at getting yourself a WWII helmet. The shell is a Schlueter of approximately November 1944 production, with a front seam and transitional manganese rim. Unfortunately, the chinstrap has come undone from one of the swivel loops. The high pressure helmet liner is of mid-1943 to mid-1944 production with green painted steel A-washers. The liner has a neckband intact, but still needs a headband and leather liner strap. Nice pick-up!

-Grant

BSRmilitaria

William,

You did well at getting yourself a WWII helmet. The shell is a Schlueter of approximately November 1944 production, with a front seam and transitional manganese rim. Unfortunately, the chinstrap has come undone from one of the swivel loops. The high pressure helmet liner is of mid-1943 to mid-1944 production with green painted steel A-washers. The liner has a neckband intact, but still needs a headband and leather liner strap. Nice pick-up!

-Grant

Hi Grant,

Thank you so much for the additional information. I cant wait until I am back up to par with these helmets.

Again I appreciate the feedback!

William

I would add another observation. The inside of the pot does not match the outside at all. The texture is thick and the color is off. The two do not line up. It looks like the shell was textured and repainted at a later date. Does the rust inside the pot mirror the outside of the liner? If they have together any amount of time they should. I see no pics of the liner showing this.IMHO

BSRmilitaria

I would add another observation. The inside of the pot does not match the outside at all. The texture is thick and the color is off. The two do not line up. It looks like the shell was textured and repainted at a later date. Does the rust inside the pot mirror the outside of the liner? If they have together any amount of time they should. I see no pics of the liner showing this.IMHO

Thank you for expressing your concern.

The shell and liner do have matching rust marks which I have added to the thread. As far as the outer-shell goes, I am not experienced enough to confirm your thoughts. If you may care to see any other photos though, just let me know!

Thanks again!

William

post-170153-0-23739800-1530049454_thumb.jpg

post-170153-0-89055000-1530049459_thumb.jpg

So this confirms what I see. The outer pot does not match the condition of the outer liner and inner pot. Unless you have something I can not see in the photo's of the outer shell it looks like it was re textured and re painted at a time later on. Please post detail photos of the underside of the rim and the top side of the rim. I am sure you will see two different paints.

This helmet is indeed late WWII manufacture however, that paint looks to be a thick cement/sand texture used before reissue back in the 60's. Collectors refer to it as "moss" or "mossy camo".

This helmet is indeed late WWII manufacture however, that paint looks to be a thick cement/sand texture used before reissue back in the 60's. Collectors refer to it as "moss" or "mossy camo".

Scott, you may be right but I think it is actually cork. It is common for late Schlueters to have very dense cork that appears sand-like. Perhaps William can post a detailed close-up? As for rust staining, I see no issues and both the shell and liner appear to have been together for quite sometime.

So this confirms what I see. The outer pot does not match the condition of the outer liner and inner pot. Unless you have something I can not see in the photo's of the outer shell it looks like it was re textured and re painted at a time later on. Please post detail photos of the underside of the rim and the top side of the rim. I am sure you will see two different paints.

Late Schlueters age somewhat oddly. I have a very similar one in which the interior has become significantly rust-stained, whereas the exterior's wear just consists of slightly darkened paint. Notice the tightly compacted cork texture.

post-11015-0-95639400-1530114741_thumb.jpg

post-11015-0-81684400-1530114751_thumb.jpg

Late Schlueters age somewhat oddly. I have a very similar one in which the interior has become significantly rust-stained, whereas the exterior's wear just consists of slightly darkened paint. Notice the tightly compacted cork texture.

I see what you are saying. By the way I wasn't questioning when it was made. I just couldn't square the texture and color difference. Digital is cool, but the colors are not always true.

Screamingeagles101

Below is the paint of another swivel bail Schlueter for reference. I agree with Scott. I don’t think the paint is the original factory finish on the posters helmet.

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BSRmilitaria

Sorry guys for the late reply! I will post some more detailed shots of the helmet now!

Thank you all for the contribution!

BSRmilitaria

Here are some more detailed photos!

If I can do anything more, please let me know.

Thanks again for the help.

William

post-170153-0-55900200-1530132433_thumb.jpg

post-170153-0-48015600-1530132439_thumb.jpg

TheMinistryOfAviation

I wasn't convinced from the first pictures (the helmet looked like it was made of that sea foam stuff sold to kids in the 90s!), but these close ups help a lot. That's some thick corking, indeed!

-Jeremy

Yep, that's Schlueter cork if I've ever seen it.

We'll have to disagree. The photo's are not conclusive and I see apple green on the inside which hints toward this helmet being repainted and reissued multiple times(which was very common). While Schlueter did have some very heavy texture, the look of repaint causes me to lean toward mossy. But hey, I've been known to be wrong in the past, just ask my kids. :)