Early 70's T10 Parachute Questions

rje71

Apologies if this isn't the correct forum, but I didn't think it specifically fit into the aviation threads just because it was a parachute.. :)

I have a few questions regarding the T10 and its associated equipment, I have a mid 70's T-10B canopy ( has the anti inversion net ) that I want to display at an upcoming function we are having the end of July. It is complete down to the risers and not cut and has the quick release .

If I display it not showing the inversion net I think it could still pass for an early 70's T10..

Questions I have are :

When did they stop using the harness ( 5 pt harness ? ) in favor of the one that had the quick release fittings.

The deployment bag stays in the aircraft still attached to the static line correct ?

And after jumps in training does the chute get put into a large back to be taken back to the lost for repack ? And if so what type of bag ?

Thanks for looking and any help/answers ...

RJ

- The static line is attached to deployment bag. Extended static lines with deployment bags are pulled back into the aircraft after all jumpers have exited, bagged and returned to riggers for repacking.

- After landing on drop zone the harness and canopy are placed into an A-3 bag with the harness first in the bottom of the bag and the apex of the canopy on top with the belly band threaded through it for the riggers to extract from the bag for repacking. The new T-11 uses a new type of recovery bag that replaces the A-3 bag.

- Can’t guarantee why the bang box on the early 70’s harnesses was replaced. But, speculate that the the use of quick release ejector clips allow them to be released with more control in preparation for a water landing. The harness clips used on the T-5 harness during WWII were not ejector clips and were extremely hard to release when u dear tension, which led to their replacement with the ‘turn and bang’ hell box adopted from the British for the Market Garden drop and beyond. They were still using the ‘hell box’ harness when I went through jump school in 1974.

Perhaps Josh from Rigger Depot can give more information with regard to harness hardware.

WWII Parachutist

When did they stop using the harness ( 5 pt harness ? ) in favor of the one that had the quick release fittings.

RJ,

The standard 3-point snap hook harness (T-5) was was replaced beginning in 1944. It's replacement, the T-7, had the quick release box and was gradually phased out between 1952-1954 by the T-10. The T-10 utilized the same harness with the same quick release box (and shoulder releases) well into the 1970's. It was later modified with ejector snap hooks. I've seen T-10s with the quick release box dated in the late 70s, so your harness with the quick release box would be perfectly fine for an early 70's display.

Joshua

Av8r & WWI Parachutist,

Thank you for the info that is exactly what I was hoping for !! Thank You !

I may have a few other questions as well .. :)

Just to further clarify, an A-3 bag is also known as a Aviators Kit Bag. If you are Air Force (guessing from your avatar), it’s what the Air Force uses for mobility bags. Normal procedure for training jumps coming off the drop zone is to snap your reserve chute across the carry handles of the A-3 kit bag and sling the bag over your head on to your back with the reserve chute across your chest under your chin to balance the load. The chutes are then turned in at a rally point off the edge of the drop zone where they get trucked back to the rigger shed.

Also to clarify, the static line (now being used, the 1970’s static lines were sewn to the deployment bag) has an eye sewn into one end, the static line is secured to the deployment bag by looping the static line back through the eye in what’s called a ‘lark’s head’ knot. That allows for either the static line or the deployment bag to be replaced if damaged. The apex of the canopy gets tied to the static line from the inside of the deployment bag with 80 pound cotton break tape. This allows the suspension lines to get fully extended then the canopy gets pulled completely from the deployment bag by the weight of the jumper falling before the tape breaks and separates the canopy from the deployment bag/static line. All this is for the T-10, MC-1, SF-10A canopies. The deployment system on the T-5 and T-7 is a different animal, there is no deployment bag on those systems.