Need I.D. Help, VietNam era soldier

bobgee

A friend is doing research and has asked me to i.d. some insignia in a photo. The basic ribbon rack is easy but I have no clue about the beret badge or pocket badge. On his DD-214 he is shown as an Interpreter. Any help most appreciated. Bobgee

Bill Adams Soldier pic.jpg

I believe this soldier is wearing this pocket patch and beret badge. I thought the beret badge was for the SVN National Police Force but I was wrong as it is I believe it is a general cap insignia for the SVN Army.

post-1389-0-43128800-1529971971.jpg

post-1389-0-05901100-1529971996_thumb.jpg

Obituary:

THURNESS John "Chick" Thurness, 65, of Columbus, died Wednesday, August 15, 2012. He was born June 2, 1947 in Columbus to the late Charles and Kathryn (Westbrook) Thurness. He was a 1966 graduate of Grandview Heights High School and a decorated U.S Army veteran of the Vietnam War, where he was a recipient of the Bronze Star among other recognitions. He was involved in animal health most of his life as a Purchasing Manager for veterinarian supplies and pharmaceuticals and most recently an associate with Pet People, Grandview location. He was involved with Parents Without Partners and enjoyed music. He was a great brother, and a loving father and grandfather who was always there for his family. He is preceded in death by his sister Judith Kennedy and niece Julie Kennedy. Survived by daughters, Amy (Eduardo) Gomez and Carrie (Anthony) Rubbicco, both of Boston; their mother, Anne Pickett; sisters, Kay (Bill) Levering and Marcia Weaver, FL; grandchildren, Miles and Paige Gomez; brother-in-law, Robert Kennedy; nieces and nephews. Family will receive friends Monday from 4-6 p.m. at SCHOEDINGER NORTHWEST CHAPEL, 1740 Zollinger Rd. Memorial contributions may be made to the Capital Area Humane Society, 3015 Scioto-Darby Executive Court, Hilliard, OH 43026. Online condolences may be made to www.schoedinger.com

Published in The Columbus Dispatch on Aug. 18, 2012

From Condolences:

My name is Bill Powers and I met Jack way back when we were 14 yrs. old. We had mutual friends ( Jim Melfi and Chris Massse ) We hit it off right away, probably because we all loved music. A few years passed and my family moved to the North end of Columbus and in high school I found myself playing in a pretty good rock N roll band. We had a great drummer and electric piano player, bass player and I played electric guitar. For a bunch of young guys, we were very good but something was missing, something to really put us over the top. I called Jack and when the guys heard him sing....well that was it! He joined the band and we took off immediately. All of a sudden we were playing Frat parties at OSU, then all of the Universities around. Down to Dayton to record, we were on TV donating money to the Heart Fund ( our charity ) and playing in front of 2000 screaming kids at the Valley Dale Ballroom where we won the " Battle of the Bands " We played the Gloria nightclub on Saturday nights when they had teen dances. We were very busy and were making good money for high school kids. It was fantastic. We had the time of our lives and Jack..... he was a born showman. The bigger the crowds, the better he liked it. He was the only one who never got nervous. I'll bet you didn't know that his name was Chickee. I believe it was Chris Massse that gave it to him cause all the " Chicks " thought he was so handsome. I guess he out grew the Chickee and just stuck with Chick. ( Good idea ). After high school, we all went separate ways. Three of us went to the Army and to Viet Nam: Myself, Steve Martin ( drummer ) and Jack. Thank God we all got back. I just now ran across Jack's Obituary and I am deeply saddened. I will keep him in my prayers always.

I thought this was the DI that was pined on the epaulets of his uniform jacket but upon looking closer at the fuzzy picture the shape is different. This is the DI worn by the 4th Battalion, 47th Infantry (Riverine Infantry) during the Vietnam War.

post-1389-0-33663400-1529973159.jpg

I thought this was the DI that was pined on the epaulets of his uniform jacket but upon looking closer at the fuzzy picture the shape is different. This is the DI worn by the 4th Battalion, 47th Infantry (Riverine Infantry) during the Vietnam War.

That's not what he's wearing in the photo, not the 47th Inf DIs. In the photo he looks like a going home soldier, note the combat patch, but no organizational patch, usually or sometimes going home soldiers sewn or had sewn their Vietnam unit patch on the organizational side. He may have been in another unit post Vietnam in a unit that had no organizational patch, but these were rare units. Still if this was the case he would not be allowed or should not be wearing that 47th pocket patch, nor the Belgian Rope, in the case of the latter, that was only worn by men serving in a unit that had been awarded it as a permanent unit award, when one left the unit it could not be worn anymore, this brings us back to theory one, a gong home soldier who just donned a few of his old unit insignias for the camera, that would include the Red beret the the ARVN badge.

• 1 month later...
whistlinbill

My name is Bill Adams; I am a new member here. I own a knife formerly owned by John Thurness; I am writing an article for Knife Magazine about the knife and about John Thurness. Bob Gill was kind enough to put the post on this site; I've tried to reach those who responded directly, but I keep getting the message "You don't have permission to do that".

So, if someone could clue me in how to contact aznation, Tonomachi, vintage productions and patches, I'll be ever

so grateful!

Bill Adams

email: [email protected]

478-836-4195

From Condolences:

My name is Bill Powers and I met Jack way back when we were 14 yrs. old. We had mutual friends ( Jim Melfi and Chris Massse ) We hit it off right away, probably because we all loved music. A few years passed and my family moved to the North end of Columbus and in high school I found myself playing in a pretty good rock N roll band. We had a great drummer and electric piano player, bass player and I played electric guitar. For a bunch of young guys, we were very good but something was missing, something to really put us over the top. I called Jack and when the guys heard him sing....well that was it! He joined the band and we took off immediately. All of a sudden we were playing Frat parties at OSU, then all of the Universities around. Down to Dayton to record, we were on TV donating money to the Heart Fund ( our charity ) and playing in front of 2000 screaming kids at the Valley Dale Ballroom where we won the " Battle of the Bands " We played the Gloria nightclub on Saturday nights when they had teen dances. We were very busy and were making good money for high school kids. It was fantastic. We had the time of our lives and Jack..... he was a born showman. The bigger the crowds, the better he liked it. He was the only one who never got nervous. I'll bet you didn't know that his name was Chickee. I believe it was Chris Massse that gave it to him cause all the " Chicks " thought he was so handsome. I guess he out grew the Chickee and just stuck with Chick. ( Good idea ). After high school, we all went separate ways. Three of us went to the Army and to Viet Nam: Myself, Steve Martin ( drummer ) and Jack. Thank God we all got back. I just now ran across Jack's Obituary and I am deeply saddened. I will keep him in my prayers always.

• 2 weeks later...
whistlinbill

I believe this soldier is wearing this pocket patch and beret badge. I thought the beret badge was for the SVN National Police Force but I was wrong as it is I believe it is a general cap insignia for the SVN Army.

I very much appreciate your help in identifying John Thurness' cap badge and arrowhead patch. I have John Thurness' knife; are the cap badge and arrowhead patch readily available? (As you no doubt can tell, I'm a

newbie here, and I've never bought any Vietnam period insignia.

Thank You,

Bill Adams

email: [email protected]

478-836-4195