Navy Find

doyler

manayunkman

Of course I agree with the Airborne assesment.

It looks like the side insignia were purposefully rubbed off only leaving the remnant.

The only place this could have possibly happened is in Normandy.

stealthytyler

Quite a few sailors lost their helmets during the landings and picked up whatever fit. Always a possibility this was picked up, rubbed the old markings off then painted a stripe using the closest color they could find....makes since as the color seems a bit off from all the other examples I've seen. I have a photo of a 7th Beach Bn sailor wearing a 29er lid in a group photo on Omaha...it is possible

• 2 weeks later...

Something to remember (and all my reference material is an hour away in a storage shed), is that there were Navy units assigned to the Army. They hauled assault craft across Europe (LCVPs and LCMs) to cross rivers and lakes. They wore Army uniforms ( issued by the Army, and added Navy insignia) and had the blue/gray stripe painted around their helmets. To my understanding, the blue/ gray stripe, does not nessicarily mean D-Day, but rather USN, operating ashore in the ETO. The markings described under the Blue/ gray stripe, sound like 101st ABN. Not too sure they landed at Normandy ( I could be wrong, not into Army stuff). But definitely a possible reissue along the road to Berlin. My 2 cents worth. Just sayin. Great helmet.

Is this probably a D-day helmet because of the blue stripe?

. The stripe was used by all USN ashore in the ETO. All the way to Berlin. Not just at Normandy

Thanks for commenting Chief/ Sigs.I agree .Navy shore parties, CB, inland water craft operators etc.I avoid the "D" word as there wasnt any concrete identification of the sailor who wore this.

stealthytyler

. The stripe was used by all USN ashore in the ETO. All the way to Berlin. Not just at Normandy

The stripe was not used by ALL shore duty sailors. Many shore party, beach battalion, seabee sailors, etc never had a mark on their helmet in the ETO/MTO during amphibious operations. If they did, it was not always a horizontal stripe. Some had vertical stripes, some had USN stencils only, some were painted ship grey with rate stencils, etc.. If you find a helmet with a horizontal grey/blue stripe all the way around the shell with an OD base paint like the one that Doyler found, the odds of it being a Normandy used helmet are greater than not. But yes, no way to 100% know since it is not a named helmet.

Great helmet

Side by side comparision of the two banded helmets from the collection.

The band on the named Shore Party helmet is quite faint but there.Liner is marked SP in white.In front on the lip is the initials scratched in SJ.

Liner left side name was removed.The shell also has the name +S+ JASLOWSKI+.Havent pinned down his service.

Had requested a researcher to look for file but no reply so far.

post-342-0-81697500-1531276376_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-70543000-1531276391_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-93826600-1531276413_thumb.jpg

stealthytyler

Here you go Doyler... he was a Seabee in the 114th NCB under the 25th NCR. They were on Omaha beach. Not sure when they landed.

post-131595-0-05270300-1531277525_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that

I had seen him listed as serving in Alaska as well on the WW2 memorial

Will add the helmet came out of New Jersey

stealthytyler

Sounds like your guy was actually not part of the invasion. This article mentions them arriving in England in August 1944 and then working their way through Europe until just before VE day when they were sent to Attu Alaska. So, I guess this proves that these stripes were used outside of the initial landings at Normandy. Interesting.

post-131595-0-40508800-1531278486.png

post-131595-0-94378700-1531278461.png

From the registry....ties to the units Alaska duty

nophoto.jpg
Stanley Jaslowski

BRANCH OF SERVICE
U.S. Navy
HOMETOWN
Linden, NJ
HONORED BY
Ann M. Jaslowski, Niece
emblem_navy.gif

ACTIVITY DURING WWII

SERVED IN ALASKA AS A SEABEE.

Weird that the memorial does not mention his service in France

Often not uncommon when submitted by families they may not really know the vets history

Same way Campaign Stars become Bronze Stars.

Often not uncommon when submitted by families they may not really know the vets history

Same way Campaign Stars become Bronze Stars.

+1

Knew a FSSF vet and would stop to see him.He went all the way from the Aleutian islands to Norway.When he passed his wife sent me an obit and a photo of his headstone.They had the silver star medal carved into the reverse of the stone.I knew "Big Mike" had been on the assault of LaDifensia and saw heavy hand to hand combat and shelling by the Germans.I had seen his uniform and medals also his discharge.He wasnt a silver star medal recipient.His discharge state EAME MEDAL w/one silver star. ....was part of his campaigns but some one took this as the Silver Star medal and it then was carved into his stone.I never mentioned the error to his widow as it was already set in stone.

I did ask how the stone became engraved and she said the funeral director had made all the arrangements once they had chosen the stone.

Screamingeagles101

+1

Knew a FSSF vet and would stop to see him.He went all the way from the Aleutian islands to Norway.When he passed his wife sent me an obit and a photo of his headstone.They had the silver star medal carved into the reverse of the stone.I knew "Big Mike" had been on the assault of LaDifensia and saw heavy hand to hand combat and shelling by the Germans.I had seen his uniform and medals also his discharge.He wasnt a silver star medal recipient.His discharge state EAME MEDAL w/one silver star. ....was part of his campaigns but some one took this as the Silver Star medal and it then was carved into his stone.I never mentioned the error to his widow as it was already set in stone.

I did ask how the stone became engraved and she said the funeral director had made all the arrangements once they had chosen the stone.

Wow, not sure what the best thing to do is in that situation. I think you did the right thing. Maybe it’s better tent don’t know.

Very nice helmet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk