Navy Find

doyler

Wow Ron! Thats quite a find! Sometimes you land the big one just when you think youve exhausted all the best fishing holes! Congrats, its a beauty!

Rick

Thanks Rick

I almost missed it.Over looked it or wasnt paying attention....was in plain sight and was getting ready to leave and saw it.

Kurt Barickman

Nice Ron,

Under the Bridge woodwork continues to provide nice pickups for you.

Kurt

Nice Ron,

Under the Bridge woodwork continues to provide nice pickups for you.

Dumpster at Pump and Dump isn't bad either :D

Nice helmet Ron.......Jack Kennedy!

Ronnie

THanks Ronnie...maybe your helmet score mojo rubbed off on me :)

manayunkman

Quite nice.

I wonder what that circle is?

Was it a circle blob or circle border?

And it was under the band.

So is the folow me stripe, did the Navy wear these stripes?

Could this helmet have been picked up from an Army casualty?

Why do you think Navy? That looks like Blue Drab, which might be more readily available to the Army for repainting registration numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do you think Navy? That looks like Blue Drab, which might be more readily available to the Army for repainting registration numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Navy helmets both documented and seen in photos are seen painted this way and are know to be worn by both CB's and Shore Party elements.I have another with a faint blue stripe with a liner marked SP(SHORE PARTY) and its named to a Navy vet.

The "blue bands" will appear in various shades and tend to be ships paint that was commonly used.The colors of the bands will be seen from grey,blue-grey,a slate blue and with the age and oxidation or exposure of the helmets the paint will differ as well in my thinking.

Here are two photos I posted a while back showing Navy men wearing field jackets or Hbts,leggings,gasmasks,M28 packs with blanket rolls.They carry carbines and if you enlarge the picture can see USN stenciled on/above the left pocket.Also there is a distinctive band painted on the helmets in the photo.On the rear of one photo is written FRANCE 1944.Not able to confirm if its actually France or England.Seeing the Nissen Hut in the photo makes me think its a training camp but that's just speculation on my part.But its very clear these are Navy men and dressed for a Shore detachment or Invasion.

post-342-0-45744100-1529982840_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-16036300-1529982917_thumb.jpg

Quite nice.

I wonder what that circle is?

Was it a circle blob or circle border?

And it was under the band.

So is the folow me stripe, did the Navy wear these stripes?

Could this helmet have been picked up from an Army casualty?

Looking at it I think its a little bit of wear.

I can imagine another circle on the other side too but I really don't see any thick or heavy outline of paint below the band and there is a bit of white paint splatter at various points all over the shell.Never know I guess.

Some additional pictures.

right and left sides of the helmet

Not real sure there is any other hidden insignias.As it seems there is a bit of spattered paint at various places all over the shell.

First I though there was white under the band but its not real clear.

post-342-0-77589500-1530145454_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-59495600-1530145473_thumb.jpg

Burning Hazard

The sides almost look like spades to me; also the back looks like a scratched off "follow me" stripe, would be a pretty cool connection if the helmet was a recycled airborne.

Pat

ArchangelDM

Almost looks like a gingerbread man in white, going to stick with my original theory of that being a follow me stripe.

Yours

Dean