Souvenirs From A 3rd Army Interrogator - Interpreter

tigerfan

that vet must have had all the room in the world to bring this stuff home. how!?!? you should meet up with him and interview him to add to the group before its too late.

I think you assume he sent everything home at one time. He was an officer able to send things back when he had time. There were two other boxes with "non military" souvenirs he sent home still in shipping boxes dated almost 1 year apart. All of the small things, flags, daggers-bayonets, belts you see in the photos all fits in that black box with room to spare. And yes it is already pretty much to late for an interview. Although he is still with us, unfortunately his mind isn't.

Extremely nice pile, you did well. Quite a bit of nice and valuable stuff in that grouping. Proof that there is so much out there yet!!

Congrats,

Kurt

PS, is the 43 a K or G?

Was a G43.

This veterans father was a WWI veteran. The family still had several of his belongings and I think that any WWI era souvenirs you see in my photos may have been bringbacks from him.

Wow thats a heck of a haul most veterans only brought back a couple of hand picked pieces he must have had enough clout to take what he wanted and not be questioned on it! He certainly was a collector himself while over there! Thats a great set one of the largest bring back groups I have ever seen if not the largest!

USCapturephotos

I really love that camo pattern on the stahlhelm and the G43. Were you able to speak w the vet to get any stories from him about his job as an army interrogator?

Paul

I think you assume he sent everything home at one time. He was an officer able to send things back when he had time. There were two other boxes with "non military" souvenirs he sent home still in shipping boxes dated almost 1 year apart. All of the small things, flags, daggers-bayonets, belts you see in the photos all fits in that black box with room to spare. And yes it is already pretty much to late for an interview. Although he is still with us, unfortunately his mind isn't.

+1

Local officer sent back a lot of stuff....pistols,rifles(both military and small schuetzen rifles),flags,daggers,bayonets,and around a 100 cameras of various types.Much he sold off over the years to an add in the VFW magazine.At his estate auction I did find a unissued german army blanket,german medical pouch and a couple of his US overseas caps.I spoke to him from time to time and asked how he got so much home.Obviously being an officer helped but he also added they were stationed near a bombed out factory at one time and there were "materials and tools" to be used.Scrap wood or any crates he found he used and boxed things up.Some of the rifles he would disassemble and box up 5-6 small ones and send home.

Great find Roger.Just proves its all still out there.Well done and thanks for posting.

M24 Chaffee

What an amazing group of bringbacks! Everything looks to be in very good condition. And, having some WWI stuff that this veterans father possibly brought back from that war is also amazing!

Frank

• 2 weeks later...