Such an interesting hobby

Hello all,

I was just going through my collection, Span Am thru WWII, and got to thinking that a lot of what we collect is over 100 yrs old! Maybe to some that may not mean much, but I think it is rather humbling. For example, I was looking at my 1904 McKeever cartridge box and just suddenly realized I was holding an object 114 yrs old! Man, I could just feel the history in my hands. I feel the same about the WWI tunics I have as well as the weapons. Maybe Im being overly dramatic, but I feel rather privileged to be the caretakers of such history to pass on to my kids and grandchildren.

Hello all,

I was just going through my collection, Span Am thru WWII, and got to thinking that a lot of what we collect is over 100 yrs old! Maybe to some that may not mean much, but I think it is rather humbling. For example, I was looking at my 1904 McKeever cartridge box and just suddenly realized I was holding an object 114 yrs old! Man, I could just feel the history in my hands. I feel the same about the WWI tunics I have as well as the weapons. Maybe Im being overly dramatic, but I feel rather privileged to be the caretakers of such history to pass on to my kids and grandchildren.

Hello kwc:

Yes, we are the caretakers for future generations. Have you considered doing some presentations, for schools or the public? History is not a good learning tool if it is packed away in a closet. I have done talks for many years. They do not have to be extensive. Kids are almost always interested in something they have not seen before. Give it some thought and give it a try.

MHJ

Yep, actually I do. I go to schools and churches and do public displays at different venues around my state. Great fun and I learn something myself quite often

• 1 month later...

I get this feeling quite often when I get a chance to just sit in my room. I'll put on an original WW1 phonograph and listen to "Keep the Home Fires Burning". Then just look around at the ancient pieces.

Always looking for WW1 28th Division; anything, papers, field gear, uniforms, etc.

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gif