Pre-War North China Marine Radio Operator

Dirk

Here is an unusual setup, rarely seen in its entirety. The uniform belonged to a radio operator who served with the Marine Detachment, American Legation, Peiping, China 1933-35. By the time he was sent to China he had already served a number of years, including onboard the USS Arizona and a tour in Nicaragua. He would go on to "participate in the defense of Pearl Harbor against hostile Japanese aircraft". He would become an officer during the war, then revert to a Warrant after the war ended. The jacket itself is dated 1930-31, the EGA's are standard "goonies", the cloth belt and ribbon rack have been added later matching his record. Note the "2" device on the ribbons in place of the later stars indicating multiple awards. The ribbons are flipped from their correct order, matching some photos in my collection. Here the uniiform is paired with the scarce winter fur hat worn only at this time by the Legation/Embassy Marine Guard Detachment. As a member of the Radio Section, he would have been assigned to the HQ company and so would have worn a white enameled diamond as shown here. Neither the hat nor the diamond were his. The diamond did belong to a Peiping Bandsman who served at the same time and beyond, almost to the start of WWII. The Bandsman choose to replace the earlier EGA with the 1937 version. Regardless, the dress EGA was always worn with this cap. The fur cap matches features of known original examples from the mid to late 1930's. This fur cap also bears a number of construction similarities to the black version I posted in a different thread on the subject allowing me to compare construction styles. The named jacket and trousers came via several forum members, as well as the hat and diamond. Credit to all those members that helped me assemble this unique setup and allowing us to see in color what we have seen primarily through black and white photos.

IMG_5409.jpg

IMG_5407.jpg

IMG_5405.jpg

IMG_5416.jpg

IMG_5415.jpg

Thank you! I would have liked to acquire his Alphas if possible....but I think they are long lost to history. These would have been broken down and customer tailored by the Legation tailor for a better fit as was popular at this time.

jeremiahcable

Thanks J for your help with this one....your hands were all over this one!

In that case you're going to want to get them cleaned.

Thanks Kevin! For a China Marine guy, the fur cap is one of the holy grails.

Yeah I remember well Dirk your post on the hat. I dream about owning that one as well. One piece missing in an ever growing Marine cover collection. Someday hopefully! Sure looks great displayed with the blues.

Thank you all! I would be curious to know the number of these that survived. I am aware of 8-10 others so far. And I would also like to identify the fur they used in the construction of these.

Great uniform...not easy to find pre-war blues with rates and ranks. A phenomenal piece, sounds like the man had quite the career.

Shouldn't he sport a medal for his China Service?

I imagine a fur expert could take one look at it and tell you the animal he wore on his head!

Brig your right he would have rated a China medal. As well as a full rack from WWII....but wanted him to look as he did in China.

Outstanding set you've put together there Dirk. Many years ago I obtained one of the fur hats from an old hand China Marine (once removed-meaning I got it from the guy who knew the vet.). Unfortunately the diamond was missing, but there was a very obvious impression in the fur noting it had been there. The inside construction had the normal quilted stitching in it.

Now, The only thing I'd change with your set, since it is assembled, is replace the cloth belt with the buff white leather belt worn at the time. You might be able to use the hardware you have on this one. Not to say these cloth ones weren't worn then, but they were not issue.

Nice set!!

Steve

Steve thanks! I know a leather belt would be better, but I have not yet located one. But it is something I intend to do to finish it. Yes, like your cap the deep inprint of the diamond is strong with this one as well. I guess that is a common occurrence with these. And Brig is right on "issue". photos and official corspondence that I have seen seems to show a surprising lack of standardization, across the Corps than I would have expected.

Rustykamel
A spiffy uniform, Dirk. Sharp creases, polished leather and shined brass--doing the Corps proud. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks guys! Off to see an enlisted and and officers mounted uniforms that Quantico holds in storage on Monday. See what can be learned from it!