U. S. Marines Make Inchon Landing

tsweeney

The 1st and 5th Marine Regiments of the First Marine Division would spearhead the amphibious assault by navigating a narrow channel with swift currents while dodging islands and any remaining coastal defense battery sites. The amphibious assault began at about 6:25 a.m. on September 15. The first wave of Marines reached Wolmi Island at 6:33 a.m. and moved rapidly inland against almost no resistance. Within a few minutes, more Marines landed and moved across the island to seal off the causeway leading to Inchon. By 7:50 a.m. Wolmi Island was secured. During the assault, Far East Air Force (FEAF) combat fighters and B-29 bombers flew air interdiction missions and bombed key enemy airfields to prevent North Korean aircraft from joining the battle.

The Red Beach assault team arrived at 5:33 p.m. Most of the Marines climbed the sea wall with scaling ladders; however, some made their way through holes in the wall made by naval bombardment. Two objectives, Cemetery and Observatory Hills, lay in front of the assault team. On the left flank of the landing area an intense firefight ensued when the Marines encountered North Korean soldiers in trenches and a bunker just beyond the sea wall. Cemetery Hill was taken 22 minutes after the landing. On top of the hill, North Koreans threw down their weapons and surrendered. By midnight, the Marines had fought against sporadic resistance to the top of Observatory Hill.

post-8684-0-44410100-1529859457.jpg

post-8684-0-67914800-1529859488.jpg

Hey Tom;

Very nice work on this vignette. The landing craft and figures look great and the ladders are spot on with the hooks on the end. Again your water effects; especially against the seawall and LCM is spot on. This is a nice rendition of the famous Marine Corps pic of 1stLt Baldomero Lopez leading his men over the seawall. Unfortunately he would die minutes later as he threw himself on top of a grenade. He received the MOH Posthumously.

Semper Fi.

Manny

• 2 weeks later...
Proud Kraut

Tom,

I just returned from summer vacation and found your latest dio online. Great work and I can only echo what Manny and the others have posted. Thanks also for the historical background informations! Could you please add some more infos about the figures you have used?

If you don't mind one more remark (no criticism!): I have seen that you increased your modeling skills from dio to dio and I really like your work. But I recommend to look for a different background for your pictures. I know, it's impossible for the most of us to use some "real" coast for such a dio. In that case a would choose some neutral white, blue or black cardboard e.g. Once again, thank you very much for sharing your excellent work here!

Lars