Just a ribbon bar?.......

doyler

manayunkman

Ron,

Have you contacted Bill Shea of the Ruptured Duck?

He has a bunch of Rommel items that he got from the son.

He might be someone intelligent to talk to.

Kurt Barickman

Yes, if I were a gambling man, I would bet, considering the circumstances that you indeed have the same ribbon bar. Congrats Ron!

Kurt

Ron,

Just an observation, the round device on the far right is lower in the last picture than it is on yours. If you look close, the top of the circle is even with the wings next to it in the picture of Rommel but is more centered on your ribbon. I am not trying to disclaim the ribbons but just noticing a difference. As you said, buy the item not the story. It could be Rommel's but with just a story to go on, we may never know for sure. It does make a great story though! Congrats!

Kat

manayunkman

Just a foot note:

Rommel had more than one ribbon bar and you will find differences if you compare all the period pictures.

Ron,

Just an observation, the round device on the far right is lower in the last picture than it is on yours. If you look close, the top of the circle is even with the wings next to it in the picture of Rommel but is more centered on your ribbon. I am not trying to disclaim the ribbons but just noticing a difference. As you said, buy the item not the story. It could be Rommel's but with just a story to go on, we may never know for sure. It does make a great story though! Congrats!

Kat

I agree it does look lower....I had noticed this over the years looking for pictures.It seems now there are more pictures available to view on line than there were 10 years ago or so when I got the item(s).

The colorized photos are nice but most appear not war time and the ribbons look off color at times.Most of the color photos I see are later bar as well.

Here are a couple more pictures taken today.The one I used was from an old camera and from around the time when I got the ribbon bar.THese show a bit more of the colors.

In hand the wreath isn't really centered on the ribbon to my eyes looking at it.THe two eagles are aligned with it or appear to be but the wreath sits lower in relation to the width of the ribbon.Kinda hard to see but in hand its visible.

The bar is curved/convex as well.THe wreath appears to sit lower when looking at it in hand due to the space at the top of the ribbon compared to the space at the bottom.Maybe an optical illusion or a different bar all together.THere are signs of much wear to the bar on the corners of the end ribbons and the one with the wreath has a slight bend to it.Will never really know :)

Also looking back now at post #30 with the enlarged photo it appears to my eye there is more of the top of the last ribbon showing than the bottom?...maybe Im just seeing things?

post-342-0-79864200-1530144283_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-73876600-1530144346_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-07119800-1530144461_thumb.jpg

Captainofthe7th

Ron - you always share very unique items. I buy the story on this one. I think you can be comfortable exhibiting this as one of Rommel's. Very nice.

Rob

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Ron - you always share very unique items. I buy the story on this one. I think you can be comfortable exhibiting this as one of Rommel's. Very nice.

Rob

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Thanks Rob

Just would have like to talk to the daughter about her father.Maybe there was a photo album.

I do have one of the typical WW2 post card photos of Rommel but its later in his career as he wears the KC w/oak leaf and swords.

Ron,

Kat

Another thing I notice is the second golf eagle on the Long Service award appears to be off set or tipped slightly on the bar.

Hard to see if its tipped or not on the photo and possible Im just seeing things.

Brian Dentino

Ron, been following along since you started this and have finally decided with this combo and the photos I believe this could very well have been the Desert Fox's ribbon bar. How cool!

I have also been following the posts on this. While I have only a small amount of knowledge in this field, it is still quite exciting. Based on the photos of both the ribbon bar and of Rommel I would say you have a unique piece of history. Congrats Jack

MECHINF-A15

Ron,

Very nice historical piece! What unit in the 36th did this veteran serve with?

It is a very long story and if I someday figure out how to copy and paste from Word on this site I would tell the whole story.

The short version is I once worked with the son of a Headquarters Company, 141st Infantry Regiment veteran.

They took over Rommel's home as a CP moving Frau Rommel and son out to a garage apartment.

The veteran "Mr. A-----" removed from a bedroom closet one of Rommel's visor hats, an Imperial sword and a medal bar.

He (the son) could not remember where the sword and medal bar were but his dad had the hat "hanging on a nail" on the den wall.

I actually got to hold this hat in my hands! "Mr. A-----" refused all my offers to buy it.

At some point in time and as I best recall in the 1990s "Mr. A-----" took the hat to the 36th Division museum in Austin, Texas and donated it to them.

Today it is on display in a special case.

http://texasmilitaryforcesmuseum.org/the-36th-infantry-division/

Many congrats on scoring a rare piece!

All the best,

Mike

Ron,

Very nice historical piece! What unit in the 36th did this veteran serve with?

It is a very long story and if I someday figure out how to copy and paste from Word on this site I would tell the whole story.

The short version is I once worked with the son of a Headquarters Company, 141st Infantry Regiment veteran.

They took over Rommel's home as a CP moving Frau Rommel and son out to a garage apartment.

The veteran "Mr. A-----" removed from a bedroom closet one of Rommel's visor hats, an Imperial sword and a medal bar.

He (the son) could not remember where the sword and medal bar were but his dad had the hat "hanging on a nail" on the den wall.

I actually got to hold this hat in my hands! "Mr. A-----" refused all my offers to buy it.

At some point in time and as I best recall in the 1990s "Mr. A-----" took the hat to the 36th Division museum in Austin, Texas and donated it to them.

Today it is on display in a special case.

http://texasmilitaryforcesmuseum.org/the-36th-infantry-division/

Many congrats on scoring a rare piece!

All the best,

Mike

Mike great story..this vet was also a Captain and Co of the 141st....

Here is a item he had hanging in his office for many years.

The Bronze Star citation for collecting causualties under fire after the unit had been heavily hit during an artillery fire.States while he was XO he took his jeep and went into the artillery fire area to view the situation driving through bursts as close as 20 yards.Then organized a litter detail to extraxt the wounded when returning in his jeep.

post-342-0-93094400-1530317085_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-21676300-1530317117_thumb.jpg