OSS patch Marston Copy dupe

Montana40

I was one of those who was duped on the Marston copy of the OSS patch. Not being aware of the copy, the patch came with very credible documentation. 1. An original notarized copy of a handwritten letter from the owner indicating that the patch was removed from the owners uniform. 2. A Notarized copy of the owners DD214 verifying his service and assignment to the HQ & HQ OSS detachment in D.C. 3. OSS Vet. Documentation. 4 OSS Org. chart. 5. Copy of the vets OBIT.

The Documentation is authentic and I don't question the credibility of the original owner as he most likely provided the documentation with his original patch when sold to the original buyer. But, whoever was the original recipient or purchaser of the patch used the documentation to sell the MARSTON copy (s). I paid $225 for the patch and documentation and still have the patch.

In todays military market it seems like no matter how long a person has been collecting you still have to educate yourself as much as possible and always check resources such as the Forum before making that purchase. Fortunately I do not have that much invested and along with the lesson will still have an interesting addition to the collection..

post-4195-0-49365300-1529792027.jpg

ocsfollowme

You posted about this on the other thread.

As others have stated...if you want a real one you can easily pay $3000. I paid about $100 for my Marstons copy which is a filler that I will most likely have for the rest of my life and I am OK with that.

Still, the Marston copy has been around for a while.

ocsfollowme

i have seen this example go from $65-250. One dealer seemed to have about 7-10 of them 7 years ago.

Do not be too fast to consider the Marston a repro/copy. There is a very well known expert with whom I have had discussion with concerning this patch and is of the opinion that it maybe more real than we think but nothing concrete. So I would advise getting one to fill the spot if you cannot afford the real version.

Interesting. I only wish that the Vet. who provided the documentation was still alive. Unfortunately I doubt there is anyone remaining who could verify it's authenticity or official use.

Those patches turned up at an ASMIC show in the early 1980s and in my opinion they are fakes.Les Hughes did a lot of research on the OSS spearhead insignia and concluded the only true real ones are the full embroidered version.Just my opinion it's a great filler but do not get your hopes to high that it is real.Scotty

Hopes are not high but would like to see a front and back photo of one of the patches that was verifed to have been purchased at the ASMIC show in the 80's as you mentioned. It would be interesting to be used as a comparison. Hopefully there is someone on the forum that purchased one there and would be willing to share it.

There are images posted already on forum. As Scotty said they first showed up at the ASMIC convention in Wash DC and believe were selling for 25 dollars at first ,which was when I bought mine along with many other members and included the DD214. I may be wrong but show could have been late 1970s. Your pic looks to be exactly same as those sold at show.

• 3 years later...

To clear up some things.

It is called a "Marston Copy" since the Honorable Discharge and DD-214 from SSG Charles S Marston III came with each of the patches. I also believe they were originally sold at $25 and in the 1970s, possibly early 70s.

I picked one up for $25 from someone that originally purchased one, they recollected early 1970s, along with the DD-214 * HD.

AS Montana40 stated, the release from duty was from HQ & HQ DEtachment, OSS Washington DC

thumbnail_IMG_1734.jpg

Front and back of one purchased in 1970s. The odd thing is that this one was made to look like it was sewn to something which still has remnants of thread on the face.

thumbnail_IMG_1735.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1737.jpg

I wish I had known this back in the 1980s.  I bought mine pre Internet through a well known subscription based mail order catalog militaria company for 100 dollars.   I believe they were all made to look like they were sewn on a uniform at one time as the first one pictured below is mine and the second one belongs to someone else that I kept photographs of for reference.

DSCF2285.JPG

DSCF2286.JPG

ww2osshqshoulderpacthcmarsdenobv.jpg

ww2osshqshoulderpacthcmarsdenrev.jpg

The fact that so many of these appeared to be sewn on to something, especially with a clandestine unit that does not want to advertise itself, makes it look like someone really tried to fool people back in the 1970s.

Add a copy of paperwork, patch that looks vintage WW2, and make it appear that it was taken off a uniform. Yep. Who would not have bought the patch and the story in the 1970s.

Les did a great job researching and advising collectors of the pending ruse. However, there are always those and will be those who firmly believe in “wishing will make it so”.

• 9 months later...