Help With My First ACH

warbird15

I got my first ACH at the flea market yesterday for a very good price! It is a XL sized helmet produced by Gentex in 2005.

It has Oregon Aero pads but has no chinstraps.

I have a few questions on completing it.

Black chinstraps would be correct right?

Would it be okay if I put a DCU cover on it or should I get a UCP one?

Thanks

post-161028-0-09390000-1529790016.jpg

The TBH-II helmet will have a rather unique Gentex helmet strap setup for this time period. Black or Green will be perfectly fine on this with the "X" nape pad across the back. Instead of having a separate nape that connects the two sides, Genetex used this style early on before switching. A reversible DCU/BDU cover would also be appropriate for this, however with the chinstrap being gone, and the pads that game with it being replaced, I'd tend to think you might want to go with a later setup style. Maybe UCP with foliage green chinstraps as this helmet probably was turned in, and then re-issued at least once.

post-5712-0-21455700-1529819928.jpg

The TBH-II helmet will have a rather unique Gentex helmet strap setup for this time period.  Black or Green will be perfectly fine on this with the "X" nape pad across the back.  Instead of having a separate nape that connects the two sides, Genetex used this style early on before switching.  A reversible DCU/BDU cover would also be appropriate for this, however with the chinstrap being gone, and the pads that game with it being replaced, I'd tend to think you might want to go with a later setup style.   Maybe UCP with foliage green chinstraps as this helmet probably was turned in, and then re-issued at least once.

Thank you. I had no idea about the different kind of nape pads for the TBH-II. I will probably get a UCP cover and foliage chinstraps for a later setup like you suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. I had no idea about the different kind of nape pads for the TBH-II. I will probably get a UCP cover and foliage chinstraps for a later setup like you suggested.

Actually one small thing I just noticed (read your original post LATE last night), I thought you posted the pads had been changed out, but you actually wrote it has Oregon Aero pads *doh*. I'd wager those pads are actually the originals, and if you look at the 'reference' pic I posted, it also has the same pads as yours.

Actually one small thing I just noticed (read your original post LATE last night), I thought you posted the pads had been changed out, but you actually wrote it has Oregon Aero pads *doh*.   I'd wager those pads are actually the originals, and if you look at the 'reference' pic I posted, it also has the same pads as yours.  

Haha well thats nice that the pads are probably original. I guess I will restore it to the earlier configuration with the DCU/BDU cover then. Thanks for the info and the reference pic.