Vietnam-made Poplin ERDL Beret For Review

VMI88

I recently picked up this poplin ERDL beret. I was actually suspicious of it because of the condition but when I got it home it compared favorably to authentic examples on the forum. Does this look like a wartime example?

The colors in the first photo appear washed out - in hand the colors are bright like in the second photo.

post-265-0-87949600-1529778324_thumb.jpg

post-265-0-48265100-1529778343_thumb.jpg

Great, thanks for the confirmation!

There must have been large-scale production of these because there are several on the forum that seem to have identical construction, materials, and labels. They don't strike me as products of individual small shops but rather a large industrial operation.

Would it be accurate to say these date toward the end of the Vietnam era? Most of the photos I've seen tend to date from 1969-70 or later.

Great, thanks for the confirmation!

There must have been large-scale production of these because there are several on the forum that seem to have identical construction, materials, and labels. They don't strike me as products of individual small shops but rather a large industrial operation.

Would it be accurate to say these date toward the end of the Vietnam era? Most of the photos I've seen tend to date from 1969-70 or later.

I have a unused example that came in the effects of a KIA from the 101st Airborne.His mother gave me the items along with other items and his medals less the Purple Heart and Silver Star.WHen I displayed the items I used miniature medals to represent these.Later I returned the framed medals to the only living brother.The beret was even listed on the form from Graves Registration.He arrived in Vietnam Dec 67 and was KIA Jan 68.

Here is the beret.His was ripstop not polin.

I dont have a poplin one to post and have been looking for one.

Here you can see the last item listed on the form is 1-Beret

post-342-0-20951500-1529794899_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-43030100-1529794954.jpg

The beret was even listed on the form from Graves Registration.He arrived in Vietnam Dec 67 and was KIA Jan 68.

Interesting - that's pretty early, especially considering it's ripstop.

shawnmt6601

Here is the beret.His was ripstop not polin.

I dont have a poplin one to post and have been looking for one.

Here you can see the last item listed on the form is 1-Beret

attachicon.gifWrisbergletter1.jpg

attachicon.gifWrisbergletter.jpg

every time

Yours looks like its made from the US made and used ERDL and his looks like the ARVN airborne/BDQ camo to me, maybe its jst the camera flash

It seems something about that ARVN camo make it very difficult for a camera to capture its true colors everytime

helpimarock

I have the exact same style beret with Mobile riverine force beercan, however I cant seem to attach the photo

• 4 weeks later...

Located this going through some things.

Guess I do have a poplin one.

attachicon.gif2018_0725RAIDERUSMC0015.JPG

attachicon.gif2018_0725RAIDERUSMC0018.JPG

attachicon.gif2018_0725RAIDERUSMC0019.JPG

Isn't it nice to stumble on something in your shoe box that you want, that you didn't know you already had? Nice surprise from time to time. My problem is when I can't find something I know I have but it is just gone.

Mikie

Isn't it nice to stumble on something in your shoe box that you want, that you didn't know you already had? Nice surprise from time to time. My problem is when I can't find something I know I have but it is just gone.

Mikie

Just like Christmas...

I knew I had another camo beret.Just never thought it was the poplin version.Had not paid close attention.

You have one of everything Ron.

I wish... :D just need to work on a tiger one and wind proof suit and beret but he Kammo gods have been less than benevolent

Thanks for sharing.These looks weird to me, because I didn't even know these berets existed and this is the first time Im seeing one.It looks like a nice addition to your collection.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk