Wood handle M4 NIB? up for discussion

Misfit 45

Hi Folks,

I watched this bayonet on ebay until it had run its course. It has not been re-listed yet.

In spite of the $450. price tag. I thought it might be interesting to see a post war wood handle M4 in a WWII original box. I suspect it is a staged photo and does not represent reality.

Ebay policy now prevents viewing the item after the auction, but I did keep one as an example.

It's a Camillus M4 in a Camillus box. The blade is in perfect condition. The cross guard is slightly pitted, but nicely parkerized. I can't remember what the end of the latch plate looked like. I think it exhibited the typical ground off peen and flat pins.

It's a beautiful example of of a post war wood handle M4, but I don't think it should be in an original box.

Look forward to your thoughts.

Marv

post-26996-0-79591100-1529763856_thumb.jpg

suwanneetrader

If you click on advanced search and then completed auctions you can still see older postings (I think about 6 months used to be a couple of years) Richard

Marv- Picked up a wood handled Camillus a few years ago, a nice one too (no box). I like 'em! I have noticed over time that most tend to be Camillus manufactured, and a lot are boxed. Kinda makes one think that somewhere in the world a whole load of Camillus M4s w/ dried out leather handles were redone while still retaining the original boxes. I've noticed in the past that Northridge Inc seemed to have a lot of these, which for some reason or other I suspected came from Italy. As I recall they had a bunch of M1 carbine stocks & other related equipment. They could have come from anywhere. SKIP

Skip,

Do you recall if the boxes you saw were WWII contract boxes with all the contract numbers etc. If they were, here's a theory. We have all seen M3s and M4s NIB which have rotted handles. Maybe this was the case in Okinawa where these wooden handles were supposedly put on. They opened the boxes, found hundreds of rotted handles and went to work replacing them, then putting them back in the boxes.

Marv

Marv, that's the way I've leaned for a while. Too many in boxes, but have not always been able to read the cartons due to the tape. Never see them first hand though. I remember when I first started collecting US bayonets in the late 60s, they were being offered for less than $5.00. Believe me I'm kicking myself in the butt for not buying more of everything then. It was not a money thing, but lack of reference books and knowledge. SKIP

I suspect that was a put together combo. If I recall correctly late 1990s/2000 ish a bunch of bayonets and knives came out of the woodwork. Many of them had bad handles and leather thongs/lanyard ties. Many were sold broken up as separate parts; I.e, box, m4/m3, and scabbard. I suspect that is where the box and scabbard originated, because as best I can recall from discussions with Gary these wood handled bayonets were refurbished and would not have been placed in an original box. Just my thoughts. PS I bought a few mint scabbards and boxes. Scabbards 30-50$. Box 30-60$ depending on maker, and at that time you could get an almost mint M3 (common maker) with a Vietnam era scabbard for $100-125 on eBay, that site so many love to hate. I think back then Hayes was even selling original wwii leather thongs/ties.

There are period photos from WWII showing troops wearing these wood handle knives. As soon as I find the pics I will post them.

Also, if I recall this particular knife has an M* scabbard that has been upgraded tot he M8A1, so there is evidence of it being re-worked. Also the label on the box shows the old info under the current label, I think (can't recall exactly as it has bee a whils since I looked at it on Ebay).

I have never seen pictures of wood handled M4s in WWII.. You can barely find WWII pictures of original leather handled M4. These two pics are from the Korean war.

Marv

post-26996-0-88022200-1530598154_thumb.jpg

post-26996-0-56772400-1530598177_thumb.jpg

Marv

I stand (or sit as the case may be) corrected!

You are correct!

The first picture is the one I had in mind and it is in Cole's book.

Thanks for correcting.

Hal

Here's another NIB? Camillus wood grip M4. Same seller. This time it comes complete with a 1965+ PWH scabbard. Here's the ebay item number: 173406771596

Marv

post-26996-0-03511600-1531582980_thumb.jpg