New Set of Navy Wings. I have a bad feeling about.

ehle1775

These are a new set of wings I just recived I do not have a good feeling about. Does anyone know if they are actually WWII to eara or current production wings. Thanks!

The back is hallmarked with STER 4/200K.

post-1390-1227752636.jpg

That actually says "1/20 10K" and it is a pair of Hilborn-Hamburger wings made of sterling silver with 10K gold plating. The gold comprises at least 1/20th of the piece's weight which makes it "gold filled," which is the best type of gold plating, I believe.

I like the wing itself, but the clutch posts look like they may have been replaced, or a pin broke off and was replaced with the clutches.

Kurt

Has anyone compared the clutch posts to other H&H wings to see if they match ? I only have the pinback variety. Again , I like the wings , its the posts that look different than I would expect.

Kurt

To me, they look fine. I have a very similar pair. The picture isnt great, but they have the little "nail head" shaped base.

I think they are a 100% legit wings without repair. But I could be wrong.

post-1519-1227904411.jpg

To me, they look fine. I have a very similar pair. The picture isnt great, but they have the little "nail head" shaped base.

I think they are a 100% legit wings without repair. But I could be wrong.

The posts look the same too. Same wing and hallmarks. You normally dont see " nailhead" posts on WWII wings , but these must be OK.

Kurt

Has anyone compared the clutch posts to other H&H wings to see if they match ? I only have the pinback variety. Again , I like the wings , its the posts that look different than I would expect.

Kurt

Kurt

Here is another set for comparisson complete with smooth faced clutches. If you look under the nail heads you can see the rectangular shaped form where the pin and catch would have been attached.

Mark

post-569-1227923597.jpg

Kurt

Here is another set for comparisson complete with smooth faced clutches. If you look under the nail heads you can see the rectangular shaped form where the pin and catch would have been attached.

Mark

wings.JPG

Cool.. I have never seen this variety of H&H wing before this thread.

Kurt

Hi Kurt,

These wings are A-OK. The nail head type of posts were used during the war but you want to see the pool of solder under them. If you don't see the solder then you have a post war set of wings.

Gary

Hi Kurt,

These wings are A-OK. The nail head type of posts were used during the war but you want to see the pool of solder under them. If you don't see the solder then you have a post war set of wings.

Gary

I agree with gary on this in fact all the JOSTEN wings I have are all CBs with the nail head type of pin. One has a more noticable pool it sits upon while one you can barely see, In fact if some of the solder did not go over the edge od the "head" you may not notice. (I had to use a x30 power loupe to see it clearly)

John

EDIT - looks like a date and maybe a name scratched into the back of the wing. ehle1775 can you confirm this?

John

EDIT - looks like a date and maybe a name scratched into the back of the wing. ehle1775 can you confirm this?

On the back, scratched in by hand, it says Love Joe on the left hand side with J.A. in the center and 2/6/1945 on the right hand side.

Super - I have been suprised a few times when I found wings with something scratched on the reverse. The last was a aircrew wing that had the the initials and the lastname plus the last digits of the service number. A quick search of the NARA DB located the airman.

John