Huge Marine Corps carved presentation plaque & painting

These came from a Marine who received a Silver Star, 2 Purple Hearts, and Legion of Merit and Bronze Star with combat V's in Vietnam.

The first piece is carved into mahogany that is over 1 inch thick and 36 inches high (see photo of it with a dollar for size comparison). It weighs perhaps 50 lbs.

It was no doubt carved in the Philippines and was presented to this Colonel when he left his command of Batallion Landing Team 3/1

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

When I first saw a photo of this I thought it was maybe 14 inches high. Turns out it is about 36 inches, but it is a painting and weighs a whole lot less than the carved pieced above.

In person the painting has a lot of dimension.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Some artist notes from the back of the painting:

3.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

Some more info about this Marine found online:

book.jpeg

------------------------------------------------

co g 0.jpeg

co g 1.jpeg

co g 2.jpeg

turns out it does not weigh 50 pounds, it weighs 32 which is still plenty heavy for a wall hanging

This may give a better idea of the scale of the carving (the horns are wood, but the head seems to be hollow, made from what I don't know:

7.jpg

The braces on the back are themselves big hunks of mahogany needed to prevent warping.

8.jpg

Luckily a local collector buddy is buying this so I don't have to worry about packing it - that'd be a job and a half.