Any thoughts about this jacket patch? S-3. "I'm so happy here.... "

Jennings Lane

Jennings Lane

Any thoughts about this jacket patch? S-3. "I'm so happy here....

Approx. 8" in diameter. Thanks.

Andy

post-154922-0-56639300-1529715578_thumb.jpg

MilitaryPicker1941

The patch looks Korean made to me, and the S-3 might be for operations officer.

Hope this helps,

Noah

Salvage Sailor

Any thoughts about this jacket patch? S-3. "I'm so happy here....

Approx. 8" in diameter. Thanks.

Andy

Morale patch for a Battalion level (Major) S-3 shop

On a battalion command staff in the U.S. Army. S3s have broad responsibilities for training the battalion and brigades and have crucial obligations to prepare battle plans during periods of combat, The battalion S3 officer is responsible for training at the brigade and battalion level when the units are not deployed. He defines and writes manuals for the tasks that the unit and its individual soldiers are expected to perform. These list of tasks are used to evaluate the performance of the unit during training exercises. An S3 is responsible for training every aspect of a battalion's operations.

When the unit is deployed, the S3 is in charge for operations planning. He is expected to anticipate the situations that may arise during combat and prepare standard operating procedures for handling these conflicts. As an Army operations officer, an S3 must have excellent communications skills because they have to explain their plans to the units and other staff officers. S3s are required to earn their commissions with initial training through Officer Candidate School or the United States Military Academy. After becoming a second lieutenant, S3s receive additional training in their branch specialty, such as aviation, intelligence or infantry.
Source: US Army