Prices Skyrocketing on Ebay

SKIPH

Hey Gang! Cruising "Edged Weapons" on ebay. Found a couple of interesting pieces. First is a WT M1905, #192575873889, for a Buy Now price of $1149.00. WOW! Also a "TMN" M4 bayonet, # 362362031965, for a starting price of $200. I don't know either of the sellers, but they sure are high priced. Check them out. SKIP

EBAY has always been too high! Folks see soemthign sell on there and then everyone thinks they have a rare item and priced accordingly.

I troll ebay quite often; I look for knives (and other edged implements) in places that are not obvious. Occasionally I find a small gem tucked away at a reasonable price, like a Boker Mark 1 for $20 and a Case XX fixed (not folding) emergency kit bolo for $35 shipped (both in very good condition). However, neither one was in the Militaria section. What I see in the US sections is high prices for poor condition items, ultra-high prices for items in excellent condition, and unbelievably high prices for items like the Wilde Bayonet and grips. What I consider the more common items I see asking prices two to three times what I used to pay for them a couple of years ago, like PAL RH 36 knives, the folding bolos, and Camillus Mark 2s. I don't know how someone can start collecting at the lower end using ebay, because there is no lower end on ebay. And if you want excellent conditioned items from ebay, be prepared to pay the high prices being asked.

There are still reasonable deals out there, but most likely not on ebay. One will just have to work harder and wait for us old farts to get rid of their collections at some future time.

Good Point Bill ! I seldom buy off ebay, but have gotten some good deals. Lately I'm more content to pickup items locally, or a the Old North State show. I couldn't afford to be starting out collecting at today's prices. Feel bad for the new collectors. But, it's today's reality. SKIP

As a minor league collector I gave up on eBay a couple years ago. Between the rising prices noted and my own inexperience its too risky!

My present interactions with eBay are right in line with what thorn6 wrote above. Over the last couple of years my best finds have come from there. For the most part they have been pieces that were found mis-ID'ed by a seller. You have to know what your looking for and be able to spot it. Usually it's been something that I wasn't specifically on the look out for when I ran across it. Lots of hunting while not really looking using the normal search criteria offered by the search engine.

Lots of opportunity for the new innocent, enthusiast to make an impulse buy that wasn't a good choice. Still for people who may not be located near an area that has a lot of collector activity eBay may still be the best choice for seeing a variety of items.

Caveat Emptor. One thing that doesn't change.

Something else on this topic, and that's the ebay effect. I've seen the prices in antique malls and the flea market mirroring the asking prices on ebay, particularly the antique malls and stores. It's most prominent on M1 helmet prices, but true on edged weapons, particularly bayonets. I've seen ratty RH PAL 36s with $125 price tags, AK47 bayonets for $75, and so on. M1 bayonets, M4s, M5s, M6s, and particularly M7s all seem to be affected as well. I was at a flea market several months ago, and a guy had an M7 (Imperial) with scabbard for $85. When I put it down he asked me what I thought it was worth, and I told him $35-45. I added that I wasn't trying to tell him how to price his stuff, just that I wouldn't buy it for $85. I don't know if he adjusted his price or not.

Of course, when the sellers are looking at ebay prices, they look at asking prices and not sold prices and don't seem to realize that if an item is sitting there with no bids and continues to roll over that the asking price is out of line for what people are willing to pay.

There are a lot of ludicrously overpriced items as well as fakes and other dubious items on eBay, but my experience is that if you are a knowledgeable collector and exercise due diligence, eBay can be a very useful resource in building a collection, I have scored some real values, mainly on misidentified items that others apparently overlooked. For example, I found a rare Army M1861 cutlasses (only 300 were made) listed as a run-of-the-mill Navy model. The price I paid would have been reasonable if it were a Navy, but was dirt cheap for an Army. My interest is primarily American military swords, whereas most Forum members seemed focused on knives and bayonets, so my experience may differ from theirs.

militariaone

Greetings all,

Agreed, there is much truth to the noted overvalued items currently/regularly listed on eBay (let alone Gunbroker.com). But in my case, eBay by far, has been my one consistent “fishing hole” for obtaining trench knives. As an aside, I do often wonder about the economics behind sellers who persist in relisting their same overpriced items for years on end. In some categories, that behavior, has turned them into an on-line digital museum of sorts, yet it must work for those sellers; though, I don’t grasp quite how.

In my experience, consistent trolling (not the bad kind of “trolling”) of a few eBay’s categories turns up something worthy of purchase at least once a month if not, weekly. Granted, there are few bargains to be had as eBay is no longer the “wild west” of amazing finds that it once was in the late 1990s. Yet, for sheer volume of purchasing opportunities and pricings; eBay still tops the vast majority of militaria dealers’ websites. As others have adroitly mentioned, if you possess knowledge of your collectible of choice, there is gold to be mined for those willing to (consistently) invest the effort into searching on eBay.

Nothing beats a good flea market, garage sale, or militaria/gun show for hands on inspection and haggling’s deals. However, when discussing “in your house-convenience” eBay even with all of its “transactional drama” remains a consistent source of “pointy things” for me. Like a force of nature, getting frustrated with eBay is like getting mad at gravity, you can mind you, but it will still be there doing its thing with or without your participatory angst. I too, have experienced plenty of frustration with eBay, yet in balance that experienced frustration was worth it for the consistent purchasing opportunities eBay has and continues to provide me. Is eBay perfect? No, but eBay has provided consistent access to more quality items than I have ever found while walking through acres of seller’s wares at flea markets/militaria shows etc. In my case, Militaria/Gun-shows/Fleamarkets/Garage sales are infrequent events, while eBay is always open 24/7.

Don’t get me wrong, I too, miss the “good old days” of crusty WWII veteran dealers hawking their wares at militaria/gun shows. But if one is an active collector they must evolve and adapt to the realities of the current militaria market or they are left wondering where it all went. Shaking one’s fists at the sky and pinning away for days that are long past remains a diversion for many on this and other militaria collecting forums (I’m guilty too) and while it’s great to have memories of that unissued V-42 that you once turned down for $50.00 because “it was too pricey,” I would instead prefer to move on to today’s recent acquisition.

Frankly, I would love if more disappointed, frustrated, and distraught fellow blades’ collectors turned away from/left eBay as that translates to more purchasing opportunities for me. On second thought, yes, yes I concur eBay is horrible and nothing but trouble best to leave it to the rabble/lemmings….. tee hee. :rolleyes:

Best,

V/r Lance

Good comments from all concerned. We all agree ebay, in itself is great, as far as what's available out there. Literally a smorgusbord (sp) for collectors. I do enjoy cruising it everyday, but occasionally horrified at some of the asking prices. But, despite my griping, I, like everyone else will keep searching. We all are in agreement, "you don't have to buy it, if you don't like the price". No one is forcing your hand. SKIP

Just cruising ebay again. Just want to add some interesting items, all from the same dealer. I don't know this one, but he sure has some lofty expectations. First item, "1900 Krag Bowie Bayonet, SBX 3272 Army Fighting knife" ebay #323316575985, starting bid at $500. This has to be seen to be believed. 2nd item: "M7 Bayonet, #323316603012, Buy Now $230.00, 3rd item: Camillus (JPK) # 323316556158, $350.00, dtd 1972. Lastly there is an 1894 Steyr bayonet for $900.00,, didn't bother w/ the info. Obviously militaria is not this gent's normal area of sales, checked out his sales page. I suspect he just guessed at value, so I'll give him the benefit of doubt. But, WOW ! As we all constantly put out to the new guys, study, study, study! Learn about your hobby! It would be great if someone could post these, at least the Krag. THX SKIP

militariaone

Just cruising ebay again. Just want to add some interesting items, all from the same dealer. I don't know this one, but he sure has some lofty expectations. First item, "1900 Krag Bowie Bayonet, SBX 3272 Army Fighting knife" ebay #323316575985, starting bid at $500. This has to be seen to be believed. 2nd item: "M7 Bayonet, #323316603012, Buy Now $230.00, 3rd item: Camillus (JPK) # 323316556158, $350.00, dtd 1972. Lastly there is an 1894 Steyr bayonet for $900.00,, didn't bother w/ the info. Obviously militaria is not this gent's normal area of sales, checked out his sales page. I suspect he just guessed at value, so I'll give him the benefit of doubt. But, WOW ! As we all constantly put out to the new guys, study, study, study! Learn about your hobby! It would be great if someone could post these, at least the Krag. THX SKIP

Greetings Skip,

Here's the 1900 Krag Bowie Bayonet. This is too funny. This must be the rarer wire cutting variant:-)

V/r Lance

post-31352-0-35279500-1529950804_thumb.jpg

Thanks Lance! Thought someone would get a kick out of it. Checked his site before I added this to the thread just to see if he had a Krag mislabeled. Nope! SKIP

I have a "Krag" I got off Falaka Island during Desert Storm, still has the Arabic writing on it. Didn't realize that Springfield Armory had a shop in the Middle East.

One other thing to mention about ebay; parts and pieces. With a little bit of work, you can get those items you need to round out a project, just like, with a little work, you can find that last knife or bayonet you need to complete a set.

Ebay just happens to be the place we all love to put down, even as we check it often since we don't have a show or other venue every day of the week. When you are a collector you have to look everywhere that's available.

Greetings Skip,

Here's the 1900 Krag Bowie Bayonet. This is too funny. This must be the rarer wire cutting variant:-)

V/r Lance

attachicon.gif s-l1600 (7).jpg

Incomplete Hungarian model of 1963.

My 2 cents worth: Except for two fake Boyt 43 USMC sheaths I bought at a show from Indian River Collectibles, my entire collection has come from ebay. We Yankees don't have the caliber of shows a lot of you guys do and I'm yet to even SEE a Kabar worth buying at one of our shows.

I am very fortunate to have an extremely knowledgable friend on USMF who will always check out any ebay item that catches my eye and share his expert opinion with me. Time spent trolling pays off eventually - it's exactly like fishing. Sometimes you can go weeks without a hit, sometimes you get throwbacks, but once in a while you get a keeper and sometimes it's a trophy one.

Art

• 2 weeks later...
bladelover

I have only been collecting m3 knives and 1905/ 1917 bayonets for a couple years. In that time I have seen eBay prices double. Careful shopping on eBay has given me a room full of artifacts in nice condition. Sometimes the scabbard are the hardest items to find. Some things that help are: 1 follow your item every day. Don't miss a good "buy it now". 2.use a little elbow grease to clean an item up, but not to much. 3. Buy quality older scabbards and trade them at the gun show, dealers need them. Prices will rise. They are not making any more of the authentic soldier's equipment. Films such as "Private Ryan have taught a new generation the value of what service people have done and they want a momento of those great events and people.

• 2 weeks later...

Since many sellers have adopted the strategy of asking a ludicrous buy it now price, or best offer, I have lost interest in eBay, as it has lost transparency. In the days the majority were still normal auctions I used it to get an idea of real market values. "Best offer accepted" is useless for this purpose. So it's been some time ago since I last visited eBay and looked at bayonets, but today I did. Indeed many reproductions and other listings that just waste my time. One example: Checking out the sold listings for ACC M4 bayonets I noticed a fairly recently completed auction for an ACC M4 that, at first glance, looked in really nice condition. Buy it now price of $450, sold for "best offer". On closer examination of the pictures it showed that someone had messed with the peen and that the original starburst peen was no longer there. I wonder if the buyer had noticed that and if the actual sales price reflected that. I'll never know.