1943 "American Women in Uniform"

hhbooker2

US Victory Museum

Thank you, HHBooker2.

I had always wondered about the collar tabs on one of my uniforms. I had suspected that it was a generic

"officer's" tab (one color fits all); however, the material you posted clearly indicates more than one color-

code, and what each represents. If you follow the below posted link, the first uniform you'll see is Motor

Corps AWVS. If you scroll towards the end, you'll see the uniform for a State Headquarters Chairperson.

Unfortunately, sun exposure and cheap dyes has reduced that uniform to a plum color from its original bluish-

gray. This is typical of many AWVS uniforms I have seen over the years.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=11776

The wealth of information you have collected and posted in this topic, as well as many others I have read,

is of great value to me and many of your fellow members. Please continue to post more.

Thank you. Msn

Thank you, HHBooker2.

I had always wondered about the collar tabs on one of my uniforms. I had suspected that it was a generic

"officer's" tab (one color fits all); however, the material you posted clearly indicates more than one color-

code, and what each represents. If you follow the below posted link, the first uniform you'll see is Motor

Corps AWVS. If you scroll towards the end, you'll see the uniform for a State Headquarters Chairperson.

Unfortunately, sun exposure and cheap dyes has reduced that uniform to a plum color from its original bluish-

gray. This is typical of many AWVS uniforms I have seen over the years.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=11776

The wealth of information you have collected and posted in this topic, as well as many others I have read,

is of great value to me and many of your fellow members. Please continue to post more.

Thank you. Msn

:o Page 26. Services and activities of A.W.V.S.

MSN: You're quite welcome, I've felt for decades that the role of women in the auxiliaries deserved being mentioned, but truth is, other than the American Red Cross, WAAC, SPAR, WAVE, etc., the other patriotic women's organizations are unknown today except maybe the participants and their friends and family? Yes, over time colours fade, especially red hues like crimson, mauve, plum purple, etc. I was very saddened to see the A.R.C. uniforms disappear and wondered what volunteers in particular wear other than a tee-shirt silk-screened with a message or a baseball cap, perhaps? Hostile attitudes during the Vietnam War seems to have influenced not wearing a uniform for fear of angering some jerk marijuana-smoking hippy pond scum? I remember when service men and women were spit on and worse by strangers likely afraid to wear the uniform of those brave young women and men? American Red Cross was always there for us when I was a soldier in the 1950s "brown shoe" Army, God Bless Them? God Bless Our Troops! :o Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California ([email protected]) I can send you free scans like here, but larger and much more clear, email me!

post-837-1227902370.jpg