Switches From German Wind Tunnel Used to Test V1 & V2 Rockets

militbuff

I got these items many years back from a machinist who worked as a machinist for the US Navy Yard in DC and later in Maryland at the US Navy Ordnance Laboratory.

According to him, the German Wind Tunnels used to test the V1 & V2 rockets were brought to the Naval Ordnance Lab after WWII (as part of Operation Paperclip). This is corroborated by a Washington Post article I read a few years back (https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/how-nazi-scientists-and-their-wind-tunnels-ended-up-in-dcs-suburbs/2015/11/11/9ca5b3aa-6888-11e5-8325-a42b5a459b1e_story.html?utm_term=.c05fd6e6d93f). A friend of his removed the switches an gave them to him. He also did a write-up for me to serve as provenance.

I also got a copy of his old US Navy Yard ID (he didn't want to part with his ID) and an old western union telegram offering him a job as a machinist at Pearl Harbor in October 1940 which he turned down for the Navy Yard job. Take a look at my other post for Pearl Harbor shrapnel removed from the USS Arizona's 16" guns.

post-1945-0-57944700-1529687844_thumb.jpg

USCapturephotos

Now that is an unusual souvenir! I have a small piece of a buzz bomb that a Gi shipped home.

Thanks for sharing.

Paul

These switches and the shrapnel pieces from the USS Arizona are definitely unique items of history. Wonderful that you have them and may be the only ones like them in existence. Without the provenance, who would know. Great that you obtained that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...