M1C with desert pattern cover - 1980's?

Username

I picked up this lid at the flea market a few weeks ago. I have found very little information on this type of cover. It seems some were made in the early 80's based on marked examples and photos of them in use I have seen. There seems to be a few different variants in construction and material, but I haven't been able to find one that looks exactly like mine. The fabric on my example is the same 50% nylon 50% cotton used on the desert pattern BDU's. The thread looks like a strong nylon. I removed the liner and looked under the flaps for markings and there doesn't appear to be any. The helmet doesn't look like it has been messed with in a long time. I may remove the cover, but I am hesitant as the rubber band seems fragile and it's always a pain to get the cover back on just right.

If anyone knows anything about these types of covers feel free to share. Unfortunately the seller was no help at all and had no idea where or when he got it.

post-153820-0-08441000-1529624422_thumb.jpg

That could possibly be a Saudi Arabian 6 color helmet cover.

This is what I originally was thinking, but I began having doubts about that once I compared it to all the other covers posted online. The fabric used on my cover is no doubt US made fabric. I compared it to one of my early 80's BDUs and the color and pattern are identical. If you look in the threads Patches just linked, you can see all of the covers posted appear to have knock off patterns with colors that aren't exactly right. They also look to have been made with cheaper fabric and thread. I think it's more likely mine was a custom cover someone had made. Probably in the US. Although It does look unusually well constructed to be a custom made item.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

To the best of my knowledge (not much) all US protoype covers had slits. I'm leaning towards saudi on this. There is also a photo of an Iraqi soldier wearing one in 2008, don't know if his is saudi production or another one. Not sure if Saudis ever wore US made helmets or just Taiwanese ones.