Question for our Purple Heart experts: Dave, Robert, etc.

Kurt Barickman

Kurt Barickman

So the question is did the Purple Heart Document accompany the Purple Heart when sent to the family or not? Also, did the FDR Accolade Document come with the Purple Heart, PH Document or in a separate mailing other than the other two? Seems that the FDR Accolade is the most likely to be missing in groups of the three? Any enlightened, informed data on that one please?

Thanks,

Kurt

The medal was sent separately for all services. While the dates can correspond closley, they were not mailed in the same day together and not in the same package,

Early in the war the Army mailed the PH document in a flat envelope and the accolade in a tube. Later the Army combined them into a single tube.

The Navy , Marine Corps , and Coast Guard always sent them separately. The Purple Heart certificate was mailed in a flat envelope and the accolade in a tube.

When writing my 1995 OMSA article on World War II US Army Purple Heart engraving I used the document dates to correlate when the Purple Heart was issued for data purposes . Ideally we used the postmark on the Purple Heart mailing box

Kurt

^^^ This...Kurt knows his stuff. Two thumbs way up !!

Hey Vic! Long time no see! Most of the gang will be at the OMSA convention in Colorado this year. You should think about going!

Kurt

Kurt Barickman

Thanks Kurt and he does know his stuff. I have the mailer for a few of the USMC Tarawa Purple Heart documents and there always seems to be a pinkish stiff cardboard type paper as a protector for the Purple Heart document.

Thanks to the other Kurt

Thanks Kurt and he does know his stuff. I have the mailer for a few of the USMC Tarawa Purple Heart documents and there always seems to be a pinkish stiff cardboard type paper as a protector for the Purple Heart document.

Thanks to the other Kurt

Kurt taught me everything I know about posthumous formal paper...he can tell you about the pink card stiffener too. :)

Kurt Barickman

Kurt taught me everything I know about posthumous formal paper...he can tell you about the pink card stiffener too. :)

Okay Kurt,

If you will, what is the story about those pink card stiffener?

Thanks,

Kurt

I hope Dave can get his book published soon as it will quickly become the bible for PH collecting. A lot of tribal knowledge will become public knowledge.

I don't know if there is any story other than the cardboard sometimes has that funky color!

Kurt

Kurt B. - Agree with Kurt S. HQ USMC letter to NOK forwarding PH doc states medal is being engraved and will be forwarded later under separate cover. S/F.......Bob

• 2 years later...
tdogchristy90

This felt like a good place to bring this up and maybe bump an older thread. 

Now as established the Purple Heart document was shipped in an envelope separately from the accolade for the Navy and Marine Corps. One such example is actually present in Daves book on page 496. What about the USMC/KIA certificates. The envelope I have is too small for the PH certificate but is big enough to accommodate the USMC/KIA certificate. 

This brings up a question that might be relevant for the forum and posterity. What are the dimensions of the different shipping envelopes?