WWII Office Supplies - ETO

AirCorpsClerk

AirCorpsClerk
4 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Aircorp,  reading the new additions to this thread this morning I suddenly remembered an item in one of my display cabinets that might have been used in a field desk, an inkwell ' Property, Airforce, U.S.Army ' made by ' Esterbrook, Drip-Less, Fountain Well, No 407.  '

regards lewis.

.fullsizeoutput_6a13.jpeg.13acd53b3b51bb8e3aef616fe50bc342.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6a16.jpeg.bde6a2440d46cd955e6e810947912c7c.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_6a17.jpeg.750332701264f564ed73a7d9d144f19d.jpeg

That actually would not have been something used in a Field Desk.

Both the Field Desk and the Headquarters Desk contained a pair of black Bakelite inkwells, with cork gaskets, that lived in their own built-in holders within the desks. One was of course for the standard Blue-Black writing ink, and the other was for Red writing ink.

11 hours ago, AirCorpsClerk said:

That actually would not have been something used in a Field Desk.

Both the Field Desk and the Headquarters Desk contained a pair of black Bakelite inkwells, with cork gaskets, that lived in their own built-in holders within the desks. One was of course for the standard Blue-Black writing ink, and the other was for Red writing ink.

Yup, the two inkwell bottles with screw tops were kept together in their own little oval slot at the front of the top right side tall drawer, to the rear of which were two long slots for writing implements.

AirCorpsClerk
1 hour ago, Bluehawk said:

Yup, the two inkwell bottles with screw tops were kept together in their own little oval slot at the front of the top right side tall drawer, to the rear of which were two long slots for writing implements.

The implements tray is actually separate from the subsequent tray beneath it which has the inkwell holes bored into it. Most of the Field Desks actually had two individual holes for inkwells as opposed to one ovoid slot.

• 9 months later...
Jake Zenger

Just saw this thread for the first time. Very interesting thread! Not too many threads are about clerical items. Thanks for sharing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Here’s a interesting desk item marked “Property Air Force U. S. Army” inkwell made by the BERT M. MORRIS Co. Los Angeles, CA.
Purchased from a old book store in Dallas that was going out of business several years ago. 

5994DAA5-A9E8-495E-889C-5923292A0F37.jpeg

A5C70BFD-7196-4151-95EB-AC1EC8B2B8AB.jpeg

2553E4CD-FA8C-490E-9499-44949CF71681.jpeg

This is a great thread!  I love M1 helmets as much as anyone, but you can't throw a rock around here without hitting one.  But posts about things here are few and far between.  Keep 'em coming folks!  

Mikie   

• 1 month later...
General Apathy
On 4/1/2022 at 3:52 PM, AirCorpsClerk said:

Yes?

Well I found your thread interesting and continually watch it for further additions, and was surprised that the forum was showing that you hadn't logged in since June 2021 . . . . . . . . . . . maybe you are a serving soldier and stationed abroad  . . . . . . . .

lewis.

• 1 year later...
Concernedfuturedogface

Good morning!

Super happy I happened to stumble upon this thread, has already given me a lot of information, specifically on map book material.

I'm interested in possibly making up an wwii army officer impression. And writing/map material,  and stationary makes up some of the more important task which an officer undertakes.

Regarding notebooks... does anyone have examples of issued field note taking materials, specifically pocket notebooks (the elusive BOOKS, blank, pocket, 3-1/2 x 6" listed on the posted supply list perhaps?)? In the modern army, hard covered "green books" are the issued note taking material, and I haven't found an example or reproduction of the wwii Era equivalent. 

The closest I've found is "The Army Officer's Notebook, as a Practical Aid in Carrying Out Field" which is only meant as a handbook, not tactical note taking material.

Any help steering me in the right direction would be appreciated!