Savage .45 1907 Trial Pistol

lkgmadmax

Thought you guys might enjoy seeing my latest acquisition, one of 288 produced for the early trials 1907-1911 for the first US Government semi-automatic military pistol. After Colt was selected to contract with the government most of these were bought back by Savage several were refinished by Savage and sold to the civilian population the remaining pistols were sold to Tryon in Philadelphia and where refinished and sold.

This one had it's last finish done by the gentleman by the name of Steve Moeller who passed away in 2015, Tuesday after doing research on Steve Moeller and his works it seems like he did a lot of 1911 refinishes and was pretty well known for his quality work.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Imagehttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180620/92dca63638e869cdf408152a661e3d8a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180620/2596dd9e2e540ce9de42508a4e3bbebf.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180620/4f97ea4af5f9f7bc786d7547c211176e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180620/3e20fb1b821723def72d9e66fc92da35.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180620/4221d6859820ca51e46c2d93e6cf7703.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Nice!  Any marking showing Savage?

Thanks, 

Al

Thank you! It's documented in Bailey Brower's book "Savage Pistols" that after 1917 the remaining returned pistols were purchased by Tryon in PA, the address lines were moved from the slided, that's part of the history of the pistols. If you look at the bottom of the breech block assembly you'll see S for Savage stamped into the component. This pistol was number 78. I've contacted the Savage historical department they're currently putting a letter together for me on it. Bailey Brower book addresses the different iterations they went through regarding roll mark modifications and eventually removal.

Savage Military Model 1907 pistol manufactured in 1908. Savage made a total of 288 caliber .45 pistols for competitive tests and troop trials conducted between 1907 and 1911. This pistol, serial number 78, is listed in "U.S. MILITARY AUTOMATIC PISTOLS" by Edward S. Meadows as being issued to Troop I, 3rd Cavalry Regiment at Ft. Wingate, New Mexico. The troop trials and competitive tests conducted by the Ordnance Department tests ultimately resulted in the selection of the Colt .45 Automatic as the Army service pistol. Savage re-conditioned and refinished the trials pistols; most of the reconditioned pistols were eventually sold to E.K. Tryon of Philadelphia. The pistol has a blue finish with bright barrel and trigger and smooth walnut grips. The eight-shot magazine has a full blue finish. The barrel is roll-stamped "CAL. 45" on the barrel rib; the Savage legend that was originally roll-stamped on the rib was removed when the pistol was re-conditioned. The left side of the frame has the "SAFE" and "FIRE" markings that were added to pistols from the 3rd Cavalry that were returned to Savage for repair in 1909.  The pistol has the distinctive ribbed hammer and folding lanyard loop.

Posted Image

phantomfixer

Looks like a very straight forward pistol, easy to use...nice machining...

why was it rejected for the Colt? Function or politics

Looks like a very straight forward pistol, easy to use...nice machining...

why was it rejected for the Colt?  Function or politics

Well, I agree with you the design was beautiful basically a pistol with no screws with exception of the one at the bottom which is attached to a retractable lanyard Loop that folds up in the magazine well. Recoil I believe was noted as a concern as well as few part breakages in the field during the testing, I've read that over 6,000 rounds were fired. I also read that colt provided the ammunition in the trials :-) a lot of good information at the following Link at the NRA Museum.

http://www.nramuseum.com/guns/the-galleries/world-war-i-and-firearms-innovation/case-36-great-inventors/savage-model-1907-45-acp-trials-pistol.aspx

Very nice. Years ago I owned one of the Savage trials holsters but was offered a lot of money for it so let it go.

Very nice. Years ago I owned one of the Savage trials holsters but was offered a lot of money for it so let it go.

Thank you! Wow that would have been very hard for me to have done. I saw an original trial pistol untouched unmolested about a year ago with holster the guy was asking 30k for it. Guessing it was one of the ones that disappeared in the shipment is it had all complete roll marks and appeared to be the original finish.a83d5975d181052927c0a9f7b0b974e7.jpgd79198834dc1d6b9e2328826fcff423c.jpg

That's a beautiful gun to look at. I like the nice clean lines. Imagine if it had been adopted. Maybe you'd be posting about the rare Colt 1911 Trial pistol you acquired and how different it looked compared to the Savage service pistol.

Mikie

everforward

Steve passed away..?? Oh no....sorry to hear this. His brush-blue finishes were awesome, he really knew how to replicate one.

That is a great-looking Savage.

Steve passed away..??  Oh no....sorry to hear this. His brush-blue finishes were awesome, he really knew how to replicate one.

That is a great-looking Savage.

Yes 2015, I wasn't familiar with Steve until I encountered this piece I did some searches and I found reference to his passing. He was referred to as the wizard.

That's a beautiful gun to look at. I like the nice clean lines.  Imagine if it had been adopted.  Maybe you'd be posting about the rare Colt 1911 Trial pistol you acquired and how different it looked compared to the Savage service pistol.

Mikie

Thanks! That's true regarding Colt.

The recent letter I received from the Savage Historical Department on Trial Pistol #78.Posted Image