33rd Armored Regiment Guidon

Jim Baker

Hi All,

I just picked up this great field made guidon. It appears to be made from two signal flags. It's definitely old and been folded up for awhile.

post-78-1227732995.jpg

You can see here it's dirty and the fold creases. I am going to have this framed and was looking for suggestions in terms of clean/don't clean, removing the creases, framing ideas, etc....

All comments are welcome, and thanks in advance!

post-78-1227733255.jpg

that's pretty cool Jim! I'm not sure I'd attempt a cleaning (it doesn't look bad at all in the photos) but using some light steam to ease the wrinkles seems like a good idea before framing. Make sure you show us some photos after you have finished. Neat item thumbsup.gif

FightenIrish35

man thats a pretty neat find..ive never seen one before...i agree from the pics it doesnt look to bad actually gives it a nice "been there"look.

Glad to see you got it, amigo. thumbsup.gif

I wouldn't clean it too much or leave it like it is.

Just display it nicely in a frame with a small label underneath or maybe a 3AD patch.

Very nice item! drool2.gif

Erwin

Johan Willaert

I know the original owner who sold his collection to MDT a couple of weeks ago very well.

Next time I see him I will ask some more details on the originin of the guidon...

Wonder who bought the 3AD Captain's helmet...

Laury Allison
Hi All,

I just picked up this great field made guidon. It appears to be made from two signal flags. It's definitely old and been folded up for awhile.

post-78-1227732995.jpg

Jim,

That would look so sweet with an Armor green matting and cut-outs with the 33rd Armored unit crests and the 3rd Armored Division patch. Set it off with an officers Armored BOS device in the center or even the officer's BOS on one side and the enlisted one on the opposite side if you wanted to put a little engraved plaque in the middle.

As far as cleaning it...the suggestions about the steam would be good. If it is stained or soiled, talk to a dry cleaner in you area that you are comfortable with about the options available....then cross your fingers. Looks like a nice find!

Laury

Laury Allison

As an after-thought...it would be super sweet to include a EAME Campaign Medal and a WWII Victory Medal to the mix...balancing them on either side. That would be an awesome grouping!!!!

Laury

Thanks guys for the comments and so many great ideas!

I can see I'm going to have to give this some serious thought. I will deifinitely add a small plaque, I just have to figure out what to put on it. I don't want to go overkill. I like the DUI idea too. I have always liked that DUI (Men of War). It might look cool attached to one side of the little plaque.

Johan,

Any info from the original owner would be most welcome and appreciated. Thank you!! thumbsup.gif

just-a-good-ole-boy
I know the original owner who sold his collection to MDT a couple of weeks ago very well.

Next time I see him I will ask some more details on the originin of the guidon...

Wonder who bought the 3AD Captain's helmet...

That would be me thumbsup.gif

General Apathy

Hi Jim, nice guidon, appears that everyone likes it and will make a good wall mount, personally I wouldn't overdo the cleaning and pressing, I would leave some of it in there, the folds show it spent it's later life packed away, maybe in someones footlocker ?? thumbsup.gif

Regards ( Lewis )

just-a-good-ole-boy
Thanks for letting us know... That nis one awesome helmet. I looked it over a couple of years ago...

Thanks Johan! I hope to have it in my hands by Monday nerv0003.gif I cant wait to see it up close!!!

Thanks Johan! I hope to have it in my hands by Monday nerv0003.gif I cant wait to see it up close!!!

Nice snag on the helmet. He delivers very quickly.

Have declined to comment until I could get some research completed.

I believe a case to be made that this is for the 33rd Tank Bn, and not the Regiment, based upon the following:

Constituted 13 January 1941 in the Regular Army as the 3d Armored Regiment and assigned to the 3d Armored Division

Activated 15 April 1941 at Camp Beauregard, Louisiana

Redesignated 8 May 1941 as the 33d Armored Regiment

Inactivated 10 November 1945 in Germany

Regiment broken up 7 July 1947 and its elements redesignated as follows:

Regimental Headquarters and Headquarters Company, Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, and Companies A, D, E, and F as the 33d Tank Battalion, and remained assigned to the 3d Armored Division....remainder of units disbanded.

After 7 July 1947 the above units underwent changes as follows:

7th and 33d Tank Battalions activated 15 July 1947 at Fort Knox, Kentucky Reorganized and redesignated 30 July 1948 as the 7th and 33d Medium Tank Battalions, respectively Reorganized and redesignated 15 March 1955 as the 7th and 33d Tank Battalions, respectively 7th and 33d (less Company D) Tank Battalions inactivated 1 October 1957 in Germany and relieved from assignment to the 3d Armored Division....

There are two time periods during which the Mark VIII tank insignia applied:

1) From Feb 1942, when the insignia was authorized for Armored Forces (per TIOH), until Nov 1945, when 33rd AR was inactivated.

2) From July 1947, when 33rd Tank Bn. was activated, until 1952 when the new Armor branch insignia (M-26 Tank over crossed sabers) was approved.

Based upon the info that it appears the "guidon" was made from two signal flags, I concur. I believe that the code markings are consistent with those on post-WW II signal flags, but I am not an expert on these flags. Additionally, it appears the guidon background had the insignia sewn on upside down; signal flags had one end sewn shut (which went over the top of the small pole) and the strings were used to secure the bottom of the flag to the pole. Furthermore, the dimensions of this one differ significantly from that of guidon standards (I have three - two regulation and one occupation-made). Due to this size differential, it may not even be a unit guidon, but a souvenir memory for an officer or NCO.

Hi Dave,

After looking through Sawicki's and Stanton's books, it was also my thought the guidon/flag was for the 33rd TB. The seller insisted it was made in the field for the 33rd AR.

The guidon/flag is old, and made of heavy canvas like material. I'm good with it either way and am curious what Johan can find out from the collector who owned it prior to Michel.

BTW, it is open at both ends and may have flown below another flag. Whatever it's original purpose, I believe the flag was used due to the (very) minor fray at the end of the fork. Based on the wear, I don't believe it was a souvenir. What would be nice is a period photo!

• 10 years later...

Armor was assigned the colors green and white by circular 49 on 21 February 1947. When the Cavalry branch was abolished, the present Armor was assigned the former Cavalry color yellow by SR 600-60-1 dated 26 October 1951.

So this Guidon is from Feb 1947 to Oct 1951. It very well could have been field made for the Korean War. The Korean War started in June 1950.

The colors arent the issue with the guidon in question. Armored Force units used green and white during WWII. Those colors appeared on guidons, EM cap piping, distinctive insignia, etc.

Its WW2 coloring. Theres really not much of a debate on that point. Ive got a WW2 armor guidon with provenance, Ive seen others, period photos show it as well.

• 3 months later...
I Hate Moths

I thought i would ad this one to the discussion. This 33rd armored regiment guidon was found in the home of Captain Thomas W Morrison. He was B company commander until wounded on November 18, 1944.

post-7425-0-22883000-1560119501.jpg

post-7425-0-79001400-1560119517.jpg post-7425-0-60378400-1560119531.jpg

Very nice flags! I used to have a 33rd, but in a moment of weakness sold it to a friend from Chicago, after his passing I have always wondered where that might have ended up. :(