48th AHC "Blue Stars" SPH-4

mwesson030

The helmet came today and I thought I would share. After a bit of digging, I believe the helmet was flown by Charles Barnes who flew in the 48th from 1971-1972. Also, the names of other units and locations are on the visor cover, so it's possible he was there as well. Enjoy the pictures!

post-172448-0-86987200-1529351464_thumb.jpg

post-172448-0-67086400-1529351479_thumb.jpg

Closeup of visor damage/paint chipping. There are quite a few layers of paint on this helmet.

post-172448-0-00862400-1529351677_thumb.jpg

post-172448-0-37611100-1529351681_thumb.jpg

That is a pretty cool helmet, my only concern would be that he spelled Khe Sanh wrong, probably an honest mistake but a bit odd if you fought there that you would spell it wrong. Maybe there's a French spelling from the French Indochina days? Sure looks legit otherwise and I love the look of it!

Units listed:

C 101 AVN. BR.

Black Widows

48th AHC Blue Star

48th AHC 11th. GP (cant read the last letters too well)

1st AVN. B.D.E

That C 101 Avn BR puzzles me as you would think its for Brigade but they abbreviated it correctly below with the 1st Avn BDE. Also The Black Widows were C 101 AHB (Assault Helicopter Battalion). Later I believe in the 90s and even early 2000s they were still part of the 101st as C Co 4-101st Avn Bde

Looking at Mr. Jerry's helmet, it looks like it might have the same mistake there. Maybe the same artist made the same mistake?

Looking at Mr. Jerry's helmet, it looks like it might have the same mistake there. Maybe the same artist made the same mistake?

Yeah, thats weird huh? Maybe that was a common misspelling in the day ? Lends credibility that all is good with yours for sure!

I think both are commemorative helmet with artwork do after war.

Same write on both helmet,same misspelling,and same flame and blue star on earcup.....

i see auction on ebay and i leave it beacuse i don't think is a war period work.

I think both are commemorative helmet with artwork do after war.

Same write on both helmet,same misspelling,and same flame and blue star on earcup.....

i see auction on ebay and i leave it beacuse i don't think is a war period work.

Id agree that it was probably post war done. I don't know how all units were and how things were after, but in 1970 my father wasn't allowed to keep his SPH-4 as it was only a year old helmet barely at that point and they were being reissued to replacements. He didn't even get to keep one years later from the ARNG as they were still in short supply. As I said cant speak for all units but the ones he had been with wouldn't have given up a helmet as a piece of artwork unless it was red tagged from service. Later years that might have been different. His SPH I wish he could have kept, didnt have any custom ink on it but did have a small 101st ABN insignia on the rear that was a nice touch. Also his nomex flight suits would have been nice with the patches but those were also being reissued at that time till they were red tagged.