P38 Walk in

Ronnie

I had a call last Thursday from a fellow who was referred to me by a local Pawn Shop. Those folks are good to me. They dont deal with military weapons and thankfully they refer all their walk in stuff to me. This is a nice BYF44 P38 with an incorrect Luger holster. The mag Pouch was a little deformed due to the P38s magazine being stored in it all these years. Also the magazine was loaded with German issue 9mm cartridges dated 1941. The gun was his grandfathers who was an MP in WWII. After we made the deal I told the guy to remember me if he turned up anything else. He asked me if I was interested in an M1 Garand I said of course. He said the only problem was it was a 30-06. I said we can work around that. Lol.

post-7752-0-28263200-1529343401.jpeg

post-7752-0-63579900-1529343414.jpeg

The Meatcan

Looks like a great pickup Ronnie! Just out of curiosity, what's the manufacturer code and date on that holster?

Terry

While I also believe that your recent pick-up is more than nice, it somewhat saddens me that a grandson would be so willing to part with his Grandfather's bring backs that his Grandfather may have wanted to pass down to future generations as a memoriam of his part in perhaps the greatest conflict of all time. Of course, I don't know the whole story and the grandson may desperately need money at this time for a noble cause; but because my father passed on his bring back P-38 to me this scenario could well happen in my family after I die and my son inherits the pistol. I have acquired quite a bit of WWII militaria over the past years and have told my son that when I die should he want to want to sell everything at a garage sale for a couple of dollars each or simply trash everything it is up to him; however, should he ever want to rid himself of his Grandfather's P-38, either because he needs the money or simply because the pistol becomes meaningless to him, that he please first attempt to sell it to one of his cousins so it will at least remain in the family. Again, either by need or greed, you snagged a great piece and congratulations.

CG

TheGrayGhost

Clean pistol, nice find!

@63 RECON - You are correct. The seller must not have known it was proper. I think Ronnie was just being cheeky about it.

I was very happy to get the gun obviously. However I totally agree that in that I find it difficult to understand why anyone would sell something like this. The only thing my dad brought home from WWII was a radio and an Italian Made Knife. The knife isn’t military but I wouldn’t take a million bucks for it. The fellow that sold this pistol to me is what I refer to as a country bumkin. He didn’t know what the pistol was. Oh he knew it was a P38 but referred to it as “Walker P38.” Finally he was going to sell this gun one way or the other and I was just in the right spot at the right time. Lastly the guy was tickled pink with the money I paid him. I doubt if he has had that much cash at one time in a long time.

Nice!

Im confused, M1s were 30-06

Exactly. Now I can Pawn Star him! Lol! Oh man this M1 Garand is a 30-06.

Ronnie

M24 Chaffee

That’s a very nice bringback! Congrats! My Father said he had a couple of Lugers and P38’s with him on the ship home. He was looking forward to marrying my Mother and she didn’t like the idea of having those weapons in the house so he sold them all before they arrived in New York! He always said he wished he could have saved them for me!

Frank

I just realized that posting this weapon here was probably against Forum rules and I apologize if I did break the rules. I didn’t mean to do it.

Ronnie